When I decided to turn my home into an Airbnb, I had many difficult decisions to make, including which towels to use and how many. I debated about whether I should use cheap towels, knowing they would sometimes be used badly by guests, or buy luxury towels to make the experience better. Were cheaper towels better or was luxury the way to go? Check out our Airbnb essentials-towel tips below:
The best towels and towel tips for an Airbnb are:
- Keeping two sets of towels per guest for rapid linen changes.
- Buying quality towels, like Egyptian, Turkish, or organic cotton for positive guest reviews.
- Maintaining towels through good laundry practices.
- Using your security deposit if towels are damaged.
Check Out This Rental Recon Article: Airbnb Essentials: 75+ Items Every Host Should Have For Guests
Choosing Airbnb Towels
What kind of towels should you buy for your Airbnb? I chose some high-quality Egyptian cotton towels for inside the house and large, plush beach towels to use for outdoor activities. Here are the pros and cons on towel types:
*Egyptian cotton towels are the ultimate luxury towel. The thick plush fabric absorbs moisture well and, frankly, they look beautiful handing in the bathroom. The downside to these towels is that you do make an investment that can be ruined by a toddler with scissors or a guest who decides to use your bathroom to bleach their hair (true story). Read to the end to learn how to protect your investment in your rental.
*Organic cotton towels are a great ecological choice for your rental. For example, these Glamburg 100% Pure Organic Cotton Towels will look beautiful in your bathroom with their waffle weave and bold colors and they are guaranteed to meet or exceed Global Organic Textile Standards. These are also more cost-effective than Egyptian cotton. Unfortunately, they won’t be as plush as Egyptian cotton either.
*For those looking to provide a luxury hotel or spa experience, consider bright white Chakir Turkish Linens. These linens are plush like Egyptian towels but a bit smaller in size. An added benefit to white linens is the ability to bleach them if they become stained.
*Don’t forget the beach towel! These Kaufman Velour Racing Stripe towels will look bright and welcoming spread out on the sand or hanging from the porch.
Check Out Our Other Articles On Rentalrecon.com:
- Airbnb Coffee Makers: The 3 Best Options For Your Short Term Rental
- Airbnb Essentials Towels & Towel Tips
- The 7 Best Airbnb Bed Sheets for Hosts
- Airbnb or VRBO For Owners: Pros & Cons
- The 5 Best Sheets for Vacation Rentals- Top Picks
Why are Towels Such an Important Part of Every Airbnb Rental?
Bedrooms and bathrooms are the most essential elements of any travel accommodations. While my rental is a small house, this is often not the case. Some rentals have kitchens or living rooms, some do not.
Some Airbnb rentals consist of access to only a bedroom and bathroom. Regardless of size – every rental has access to a bathroom and most guests inspect a bathroom before looking at any other feature of an Airbnb rental. There are several reasons for this.
- Often, after travel, guests have an actual need for the bathroom and it is the first room put to use and scrutinized. In this case, nature provides your opportunity for a first impression.
- Guests often look at the bathroom first because the bathroom often tells the guest about the quality of the rest of their rental. This is recognized in popular culture as well as by great hotel managers. Think of how many times you’ve seen actors swathed in plush terry robes and turban-like towels on their heads to show the quality of the hotel they’re staying in.
- Parents with small children often take them directly into the bathroom to handle diaper changes or sticky hands when arriving at a new Airbnb. The ease of access and functionality of a bathroom becomes quickly noted.
- Finally, the bathroom is where guests judge the cleanliness of the rental. If a bathroom is not clean and well stocked with fresh towels, it will not meet your guest’s expectations and it will be reflected in the review process. The bathroom is often your guest’s first impression of the rental property.
Therefore, towels are one of the most important purchases for your rental. They become the hallmark of a well-stocked Airbnb rental. I consider the purchase of towels as equally important as the linens placed on the bed. Purchasing, maintaining and replacing towels is a skill every Airbnb host should be adept at.
How many Airbnb Towels Do You Need?
I needed to decide on the number of towels for our Airbnb rental. This took some consideration. I wanted to provide enough for each person to shower with but, as experience taught me, the correct number of towels could be a bit complicated.
- If near any water, provide beach towels.
- Long staying guests need more towels. I provide a change of towels for guests that stay for more than two days.
- Do you allow pets? Make sure there are towels for Spot’s muddy paws. I keep a basket by the door when pets visit with poo bags, a lint roller, and several old towels.
- Sometimes the turnaround between guests is tight. Have an extra set for days you can’t get the laundry washed and dried between visitors.
To answer the question above – my Airbnb sleeps four people so we ensure we have four bath towels, four washcloths, two hand towels and four “activity” towels in the house as well as any extra towels for pets. We keep another full set clean and stored away for the next guest or to provide new towels for long renters.
Keeping Airbnb Towels Clean
I wanted to ensure there was a way to keep towels and other linens clean. The best method was to install a washer and dryer for our guests to use. This helped them stay tidy and gave them a place to place soiled towels so they didn’t rest on the carpet or get other things dirty. A few things to keep in mind when you’re setting up laundry services.
- If you can, provide your guests with a washer and dryer to clean up after themselves. The ability of the guest to clean up after themselves makes your rental more efficient.
- Have laundry baskets ready for their use. This can protect your other investments, like bed linen and upholstery by giving guests a place to place soiled towels instead of placing them on couches or beds.
- If you can’t provide a washer, consider setting up a hamper or basket for dirty towels and linens. This serves the same purpose as the laundry baskets. It keeps the rental clean.
- Provide scent-free, dye-free laundry pods. Some people are allergic to scents or dyes and pods ensure the proper amount of soap is used.
- A laundry line is often appreciated by swimmers to dry towels on. Make sure this line doesn’t interfere with views or can become a hazard. It should be out of the way and well-marked.
Airbnb Linen Problems
Life can be an adventure for an Airbnb host, and sometimes that adventure goes wrong. Towels often are the first things to be damaged by a careless guest. There are a few things you can do to safeguard against damage and some good news if damage can’t be avoided.
Plan on messes. Whether it be barbeque sauce or bright red lipstick, plan ahead and offer cleaning solutions to your guest that doesn’t involve those Egyptian towels.
Provide dishtowels and dishcloths for kitchen areas as well as paper towels and disposable wipes for sticky messes. Put these in obvious or visible places. Consider placing makeup wipes in the bathroom to save wear on your washcloths.
Plan for stains. Different stains take different solutions. Martha Stewart provides this handy Stain Removal Basics chart to take the guesswork out of treating stains. I recommend printing it out and hang it in your laundry room with a bin of solvents so you’re ready to get that red wine stain under control!
Plan on things wearing out. My Airbnb has been running for several years now. Our original towels are now the pet towels. Set aside money from each listing to cover costs associated with wear and tear.
When all else fails, charge the guest for the damage. Airbnb allows you to hold a security deposit and make claims on it if a guest damages property – and this includes towels.
Remember that guest that bleached their hair using our Egyptian towels? All I needed to do was take pictures to make a claim for the replacement value. It was a very simple process but I only go this route if the item can’t be fixed some other way.
Part of gaining “Super Host” status is taking care of the details. Towels are definitely part of that process. Having two full sets of towels on hand allows you to quickly change the linens in your rental as well as respond to your guests changing needs.
If you understand your options and rights as a host, you don’t need to shy away from making your Airbnb luxurious and providing the best towels and linens you can afford. Better towels last longer, please your guest, and beautify your rental space.
Towels are also a practicality. Providing plenty of towels for a variety of needs is both convenient for your guest and a smart business move for yourself. The more time you spend cleaning your Airbnb, the less money you make per hour.
Towels for the beach and for pets guide your guests in caring for your investment as if it were theirs. Inviting people into your home in hopes that they appreciate it as much as you do is what the Airbnb experience is all about!
What Color Should My Airbnb Towels Be?
White is the best color for towels, as you can easily bleach them, and they go with every color scheme. We recommend providing a black makeup towel to cut down on makeup and tanning product stains.
What Other Linens Does My Airbnb Rental Need?
When setting up our Airbnb, I chose to have duplicate linens for every bed, towel, and dishcloth. You want to be able to set up for the next guest quickly so extra linens are a must!
Please share this article on Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, or Facebook!