Airbnb house rules are one of the most critical parts of your listing. When your guest books your listing, they agree to abide by your house rules, and they are binding.
Airbnb House Rules Samples for Hosts:
- Only the specific guests noted in the booking are allowed on the premises. A violation of this Airbnb house rule will result in the immediate removal of all guests (and any visitors) from the property without a refund. If there is a disturbance with more than the occupants specified in the listing, a $25 per guest fine will be charged.
- Locals Must Communicate with the Host Prior To Booking
- No parties within the home or on the premises.
- Costs to replace any lost or damaged keys are $25 per key.
- Guests shall remove shoes when inside the home.
- No eating of food in either bedroom.
- Indoor furniture is not to be re-arranged. Dragging chairs/tables on hardwood floors will leave scratches on the hardwood flooring.
- A $200.00/ per day penalty will be incurred if any sign or smell of smoke is encountered after the guest checks out. Cigarette monitors are installed in the home and the host will be remotely notified when smoke is present.
- See More below….
If or when you run into a dispute with a guest, the Airbnb resolution center will refer to your house rules to see if you have a rule that applies to your dispute. You want to make sure your rules are thorough and robust in order to avoid areas of ambiguity, to hopefully cover most items that may arise.
House rules should be very specific, including all legal items and fines related to those rules. Care should be taken to emphasize the rules in a positive manner, wherever possible, as guests will review these prior to booking. If it is appropriate, phrase the rules to tell guests what they CAN do, instead of what they CAN’T do.
Airbnb House Rules- No Unregistered Guests & Locals
No Unregistered Guests:
1. Only the specific guests noted in the booking are allowed on the premises. A violation of this Airbnb house rule will result in the immediate removal of all guests (and any visitors) from the property without a refund. If there is a disturbance with more than the occupants specified in the listing, a $25 per guest fine will be charged.
2. Locals must communicate with the host prior to booking.
This Airbnb house rule sample informs local partiers that there will be further screening regarding their stay and that their request may be declined. The other option is to not allow locals as a general rule, especially last-minute bookings.
Airbnb House Rules- No Parties
3. No parties within the home or on the premises.
Although the “No Parties” option is a standard selection within the Airbnb Listing, I like to still provide this rule in my house rules list that falls under the standard selections. This image shows how the house rules are shown on the main page of your listing. It starts with the standard rules you select, and then your written rules are expandable below those:
Airbnb House Rules- Key Replacement, Shoes, Food & Miscellaneous:
4. Costs to replace any lost or damaged keys are $25 per key.
For a while, I used small, standard silver keys to my home that I put in a lockbox like this one. After having guests lose several of these, I started providing larger, heavier keys with an extra decorative element attached to the key. This has helped guests remember the keys, and also has been helpful in locating them once lost.
5. Guests shall remove shoes when inside the home.
6. No eating of food in either bedroom.
7. Indoor furniture is not to be re-arranged. Dragging chairs/tables on hardwood floors will leave scratches on the hardwood flooring.
Airbnb House Rules- Smoking Damage & Delay of Use:
8. A $200.00/ per day penalty will be incurred if any sign or smell of smoke is encountered after the guest checks out. Cigarette monitors are installed in the home and the host will be remotely notified when smoke is present. (Yes, these monitors do exist in the UK. But in actuality, these are not installed in my home. I’m hoping that if a smoker sees this, they will move on and choose a different listing that allows smoking).
As of this writing, I have not submitted a dispute to Airbnb for this issue. Airbnb will most likely deny your claim, since how do you verify a smell. But I like having the verbiage in there anyway.
Delay of Use For Next Guest:
10. If the guest decides not to follow any of our Airbnb house rules, and which triggers a refund/ discount to the next guest, you will be responsible for any loss of income by the host.
Airbnb House Rules-Damage:
9. Any damage made to property or furnishings which exceeds the deposit amount will be billed to the guest and will be reported to Airbnb.
Airbnb House Rules- Kitchen:
11. We ask guests to kindly dispose of food in the available trash can. Garbage disposal is for small food remnants only. If the garbage disposal is damaged or clogged by guest, the guest will be charged for a plumber’s time to unclog or install new garbage disposal (if needed).
12. All items in the kitchen including silverware, pots/pans, spices, flatware, etc. have been counted, and any item removed from premises will be charged to the guest.
Check Out Our Smart Pricing & Automated Messages Page:
Airbnb House Rules- Noise:
13. We want all of our guests are to be respectful of neighbors and shall keep noise to a minimum while in back or front yards. Quiet time is from 10 pm to 8 am. Any disturbance triggering a visit by police will require guests to forfeit the remainder of their stay and immediately vacate the property without any refund.
If you are still concerned about parties or loud guests, you may want to check out Noise Aware. They offer indoor and outdoor wireless monitoring devices that will notify you via your phone if decibel levels go over a set level.
Rental Recon Recommended Airbnb Products:
Airbnb House Rules- Bedroom & Bathroom:
Towels and Linens In Bathroom/ Bedroom:
14. Please be respectful of bed sheets and towels. Makeup/foundation, face medications/creams, and tanning products will stain and/or bleach linens/towels. Please avoid using regular hand/bath towels with all skin products. Guests are not to wash laundry belonging to the home in order to hide stains. Housekeeping will wash all the laundry. Un-salvageable linens/bath towels will be charged to the guest.
This “rule” is probably better suited for the house manual but thought I’d include it here anyway.
Check Out Our Other Articles On Rentalrecon.com:
- The 3 Best Alarm Clocks for Airbnb: Guests Will Love These!
- 21 Must-Have Airbnb Beach Essentials for Hosts
- The 5 Best Blankets for Airbnb Hosts
- Airbnb List Of Supplies: 21 Essential Items For Hosts
- The 3 Best Pillows for Airbnb: Awesome Options for Hosts
Airbnb House Rules- Cleaning:
15. At the sole discretion of the host, an additional cleaning fee of $90 can be charged if additional cleanup is required that goes above the standard cleaning.
I’ve had several guests who have left large amounts of trash piled up on the kitchen counter, have spilled large sugary substances all over the floor, and stained bed linens. As these all take extra time for the cleaner to address, an added fee is justified, as the cleaner may be billing you for more time.
I will typically wait for the guest to leave a review and then request additional money for the extra cleaning. This way you don’t offend the guest prior to getting their review.
16. Last and Most Important Rule: HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!
Where Can I Get an Airbnb House Rules Template?
We’ve put together a list of Airbnb house rules that you can use as a template. Since every hosting situation is so different, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all template that can be plugged in. But you can download the list of our house rules, and copy/ paste the ones that work for your listing. Here is the link to our download page.
What Happens if an Airbnb Guest Breaks or Violates the House Rules?
The proper course of action is to alert the guest through the Airbnb platform so that there is a record of the correspondence that Airbnb can review later if needed.
Hopefully the host and guest can resolve the issue without involving Airbnb. If it can be handled and the reservation runs it’s full term, then we recommend leaving what happened in the review, potentially flagging the guest’s profile if it is warranted and then if necessary requesting compensation or the deposit if damage/extra cleaning occurred etc.
If you cannot come to terms with the guest, and the violation is too egregious to allow the guest to continue, you’ll want to get Airbnb involved.
One of my guest’s teenage daughters punched a hole through my bedroom wall. This obviously broke my main house rule–no damage. Since the guest notified me about the damage the morning they were checking out, I quickly went over after checkout to inspect.
Based on my inspection, I quickly got a quote from a local contractor. I sent the contractor’s quote through the Airbnb app to the guest and requested money for the damage. She paid the additional fee, the repairs were made, and no dispute/ complaint was submitted to Airbnb. I did give the guest a nasty review. Especially since no apology was provided from the guest.
Are Airbnb House Rules Legally Binding?
Per Airbnb customer service: Yes. Guests and hosts relationships are regulated by the Terms of Services both parties read and accept on sign up, and house rules are restrictions that incorporated in the terms of service.