I was a guest in a little Airbnb near Amsterdam. Arriving jetlagged and exhausted, and having hiked about the city before traveling to the Airbnb, I wearily climbed the narrow Holland stairs, showered, and slid between the luxurious European sheets. Oh, bliss!
Those sheets inspired me to create a similar experience for guests staying at our own rental. So what are the 7 best sheets for Airbnb hosts?
- Threadmill Home Linen 500 Thread Count 100% Cotton Sheets
- Hotel Sheets Direct 100% Bamboo Bed Sheet Set – Soft as Silk
- Moonstone Authentic Organic Cotton Sheet Set
- Poppy & Fritz Flamingo Geometric Cotton Sheet Set
- LilySilk 4Pcs Silk Bed Sheets
- European Made Pure Linen Sheets Set
- Eddie Bauer Clever Fish Sheets
We’ll go into more detail about each of our selections below. Please note that not every sheet listed is the right choice for your listing – take time to assess your guest’s needs before purchasing sheets.
1These 100% Cotton Sheets are what I use in my rental. They have traditional 2-inch stripes with a sateen finish. At 500 thread count, they wear well and last a very long time.
If I do need to match them, they are an industry standard and can be easily found and matched. I like the blue sheets but, with white sheets, you don’t need to worry about fading. These sheets can be too warm in southern climates.
Superhost Tip: I like to keep at least two sheet sets available for each bed so that the cleaner can quickly make the bed while the dirty sheets are being washed and dried. Then the laundered set is ready for the cleaner after the following guest.
2 These 100% Bamboo Sheets are an excellent alternative to cotton sheets. These sheets are a 1,600 thread count and are made from rayon derived completely from bamboo – a renewable resource.
They’re also hypoallergenic making them a top choice for those with allergies. They also stay cool, which is needed if you have a foam mattress in your Airbnb.
Here is a side-by-side comparison of the two sheet sets above (they both come in white and a variety of other colors):
- LIKE SLEEPING ON A CLOUD - Super soft and light. Once you have tried our bamboo sheets, you won't...
- 100 PERCENT BAMBOO - Made out of 100% Viscose Derived from Bamboo, Other sheets that claim to be...
- ANTI-PILING and ELASTIC ALL AROUND- Fits mattresses up to 15". We use the best quality bamboo...
- GO GREEN- Pure bamboo sheets are hypoallergenic, thermoregulating (cool when its hot and warm...
- HIGH QUALITY LIVING: Slip into Luxury, exceptionally smooth and soft to the touch, the Opulence...
- SUSTAINABILITY: Sustainable product without compromising on the comfort and style. Made in a...
- CRAFTSMANSHIP: Meticulous craftsmanship and expertly woven from the finest extra-long staple...
- STORY: We take pride in making some of the world's finest linens respecting the environment and...
- MPN: HSD_BMB_KING_NAVY_BLUE
- Model: HSD_BMB_KING_NAVY_BLUE
- Part Number: HSD_BMB_KING_NAVY_BLUE
- MPN: THM-500-STR-Folkstone-Q
- Part Number: THM-500-STR-Folkstone-Q
3These Organic Cotton Sheets have a 1,000 thread count and come in classic solid colors. These are a percale weave rather than sateen. Percale sheets are crisper and matte (think of a classic men’s shirt) and they are usually warmer in the winter.
I appreciate the large thread count. These sheets should get softer the more they’re washed. Percale cotton sheets do wrinkle easily, something you can avoid with the prior two selections.
Check Out This Rental Recon Article: Airbnb Essentials: 75+ Items Every Host Should Have For Guests
4If your décor calls for something more whimsical Poppy and Fritz comes through with these pink flamingo percale sheets. They only have a 200 thread count but are charming.
There are some styles available with tennis rackets, nautical themes, or fishing themes. Consider these if your Airbnb is near a Florida beach!
Check Out Our Other Articles On Rentalrecon.com:
- The 3 Best Alarm Clocks for Airbnb: Guests Will Love These!
- 21 Must-Have Airbnb Beach Essentials for Hosts
- The 5 Best Blankets for Airbnb Hosts
- Airbnb List Of Supplies: 21 Essential Items For Hosts
- The 3 Best Pillows for Airbnb: Awesome Options for Hosts
5These silk sheets by Lillysilk are the ultimate luxury. These 600 thread count sheets are 100% natural silk. They aren’t as slippery as satin sheets and silk is known to regulate body temperatures through both insulation and breathability.
These sheets do require more care, as they shouldn’t go in the dryer. They can also be ruined by a guest who chooses to eat in bed.
6 European Made Pure carries a reasonably priced linen sheet set. Linen is made from flax and has a rougher texture than cotton sheets, but many people absolutely love them.
These are organic and hypoallergenic. The weave is wider and therefore the sheets breathe more while still insulating the body.
They tend to wrinkle and should be washed several times before use. The more they’re washed, the softer they’ll feel.
7Do you rent out a fishing cabin or trailer? Choose sheets that bring the outdoors inside with patterned acorns or pine boughs and consider using flannel sheets to combat cooler temperatures like these clever fish sheets by Eddie Bauer.
What Does Thread Count Mean for Airbnb Guests?
Thread count is important to Airbnb Guest, so much so that we advertise our sheets thread count on our description of our rental. We find that thread count is the ultimate way to ensure that our sheets are the highest quality. Here are a few facts about thread count:
- Thread count is the number of threads interwoven in a square inch. Schweitzer Linen has a guide that explains that a higher thread count usually results in a softer and heavier sheet.
- It’s generally a good idea to buy sheets that are over 200 thread count, but the quality of the thread matters as well as the thread count. Make sure you feel the sheet before you buy it.
- Larger thread counts are achieved by twisting two threads together. Sometimes this is called a two-ply thread count. Often this is done to give the sheets a dense, satiny feel. Twisting good quality thread also helps the sheet hold up to wear and tear better as the thread fibers are better protected.
- Cheaper sheets with a low thread count are more likely to pill in the dryer. Pilled sheets are an announcement to your guest that you don’t know how to purchase good sheets or you don’t care enough about their comfort to do so.
- Sheets with a low thread count quickly become threadbare and require more repair. I’ve learned over time that poor quality sheets tend to rip or tear at the seams.
- Mentioning the high thread count of your sheets in your listing can also encourage tentative or first-time visitors to view your rental as a comfortable place to stay.
How Do You Wash and Maintain Airbnb Sheets?
This question depends quite a bit on the type of fabric used. I’ll be answering it based on your average cotton sheet. Dyes and other factors may affect the wash-ability of your sheets so please use the manufacturer’s directions if they conflict with mine. Below are general instructions:
- Most sheets should be washed in hot water and dried on low heat.
- You can extend the life of your sheets if you line dry them. If you have room and it doesn’t block your rental’s view, dry sheets on a clothesline. I find that the wind often shakes out the wrinkles.
- Use a mild, scent-free detergent to protect your guests with allergies. There is nothing worse than expecting a good night’s sleep and waking up itchy or with a rash. Learn from my experience…the bedding I thought was beautifully scented sent one guest packing!
- Learn how to treat stains. Airbnb stains on sheets can be difficult to manage. I use this handy stain removal chart published by Martha Stewart. Guests sometimes bring things into bed that you wish they wouldn’t, such as food, drinks, and dogs! Be prepared to deal with messes.
- Make sure you have a minimum of two sheet sets per bed. This ensures you can switch out sheets if they’re damaged or dirty and helps in quickly changing your guest beds between guests without waiting for the laundry to finish.
- Organize your linen closet or storage space. I like to fold all my sheets and pillowcases around each other like a taco and place them in the bottom drawer of the dresser in the rental, but other people prefer a linen closet or to even hang sheet sets on wide hangers in the closet to keep them crease-free. Whatever you do, keep your sheets neat, clean, and out of the way.
How Do You Choose the Best Sheet Style for an Airbnb Rental? Are Airbnb White Sheets Best?
Décor can be very important for your Airbnb rental. Some Airbnb’s that I’ve personally stayed in had themes or were designed around the activities offered in the community. Depending on the purpose of your Airbnb, your sheet choice may add to your décor or seem out of step with the rest of the rental. Here are a few questions that may help you determine the style of sheet or material it should be made out of:
- Is your Airbnb in a city or country setting? Country roads are muddy and dirt can be tracked in and end up on your sheets. You’ll want to avoid silk or satin sheets as they can snag and take special care. Linin sheets are the most durable and would stand up to damage from sand or dirt. If your rental is in the city, consider a high luxury sheet in modern colors and prints. Geometric patterns create interest and can accent a midcentury décor.
- Do you rent to guests in town for sporting events? See if you can find sheets with the local team’s logo printed on it. This could be a fun touch for a die-hard fan.
- Do you have a special feature on your property that you’d like to reflect? If you’re renting a room in a Victorian house surrounded by flower beds, floral sheets with lace-edged pillowcases would be an excellent choice or you could choose sheets with embroidered edges.
- Are you near a body of water? A nautical themed room could be easily achieved by using solid red, white and blue sheets on all the beds or choosing navy striped sheets.
- Whatever your décor is, try to accentuate it with your sheet selection. If you’re unsure, you think your décor may change, or you just want a clean and elegant look – you can always choose hotel-style white sheets.
Keep in mind that whatever you choose, be sure the sheets are of the best quality that you can afford. Just like my experience in the Netherlands, those sheets will be part of your guest’s memories of your Airbnb and may impact their reviews. Clean, crisp, luxurious sheets can make a normal bed feel like a spa-like vacation to your guests. The more tired they are on arrival, the more they’ll appreciate the attention you give their sleeping arrangements.
How Do I Repair Airbnb Sheets?
If you own a serger sewing machine, use that to repair split seams, otherwise use a tight zig-zag setting on your sewing machine, taking care to catch both sides of the sheet needing mending.
How Do I Keep the Airbnb Sheets From Slipping Off the Corners of a Deep Mattress?
Use mattress clips to keep your sheets in place. These come in handy on your own sheets, as well.
Please share this article on Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, or Facebook!