The 4 Best Mattress Protectors for Pets: 2020 Review
We all know that mattress protectors are a necessary protection to increase the lifespan of your mattress. They protect against spills, dirt, bed bugs and allergens. However, one of their most valuable assets is that they can protect against the wear and tear that pets can bring into your home.
Mattress protectors are necessary to keep your mattress safe against pet hair, allergens, and dirt. Mattresses are an investment that you want to take care of, so they will last you for years to come and will be worth the money put into it.
So, what are the best mattress protectors to guard against pets?
- The best mattress protectors I have found are the AllerEase Maximum Allergy and Bed Bug Waterproof Zippered Mattress Protector, the National Allergy Control Mattress Protector, The SafeRest Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector by SafeRest, and the PlushDeluxe Premium Bamboo Mattress Protector by Plush Deluxe
Let’s find out what makes these products the best on the market.
AllerEase Maximum Allergy and Bed Bug Waterproof Zippered Mattress Protector by Aller-Ease
This mattress protector is great protection against pet allergens. Many times, simple allergy symptoms in the morning and at night – stuffy or runny nose, congestion, sneezing, and coughing to name a few – are actually caused by allergens that are embedded into your mattress. In order to prevent that, use a mattress cover!
Pets are a great addition to your family, but they can bring in many unwanted germs, dust, and allergens from outside. Even if your pet does not sleep in or near your bed, these unwanted allergens can still make their way into your mattress because they are tiny particles that can be spread in the airflow.
This mattress protector is also easily removable, and easy to wash. All you have to do is unzip the protector from your mattress, and throw it into the washing machine. Just make sure you tumble dry on low as to not cause any damage to the material.
- Complete allergen protection that acts as a barrier for blocking dust mites, allergens, dirt, and any pet dander
- The fully encasing zipper extends mattress life by adding an extra layer of protection
- Natural allergy relief that acts as an extra layer of protection and allows for a long, 10-year limited warranty (customer satisfaction is important to Aller-Ease)
- The material is thin, decreasing the overall appearance and durability
- The material rips easy, so you will have to be extremely delicate with this mattress protector
- It can be difficult to pinpoint an exact size on this brand
Overall, customers loved that it lived up to its spill-proof promise. This means for pets you will not have to worry about any accidents ruining your mattress. The Aller-Ease mattress protector is overall a great option for its price point.
The National Allergy Control Mattress Protector by Allersoft
Allersoft makes a great product with this mattress protector. While it is a higher price point, it is worth every dollar.
Not only is it made from 100% cotton, but is a tightly woven fabric, making it breathable. This can actually increase the life span of your mattress. When the mattress cover is able to breathe, it reduces the number of allergens and germs that get trapped in your bed, embedding themselves into your mattress. It is great for people who frequently have issues with allergies (especially if onset by pets.)
If you’re a pet owner, you know that they can easily bring germs, dust, dirt, and pet hair into your home. Even if you don’t allow your pets to sleep in your bed, you are still at risk for these things to get into your mattress, but a cotton mattress protector will help. Allersoft’s mattress protector even has a full coverage zipper, minimizing the holes these unwanted guests can sneak into.
- Since it is made from 100% cotton, it is easy to clean and guards well against allergens caused by pets
- Multiple size options, ranging from twin to California king, even providing options for different heights (available for 9, 12, and 16 inches)
- Acts as a mattress pad as well, so it is ultra-comfortable
- The 300-thread count adds another layer of comfort and protection against dust mites, allergens, dirt, and pet hair
- This mattress protector has a higher price point than most
- Can be a bit loud
- Can have a difficult installation process since it is tight-fitting and encases the entire mattress
The SafeRest Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector by SafeRest
This mattress protector has made it on the list for a number of reasons, but namely because of its hypoallergenic cotton material. Not only does it protect against dust mites, allergens, pets, and bacteria, it is breathable and waterproof thanks to its material makeup. Cotton is one of the best materials you can use for bedding, especially for a mattress protector.
The SafeRest Mattress protector is again, great for protecting against allergens, as it is great as well for those with asthma and eczema. So, if you feel like you might be having allergy flare-ups because of your pets, changing your mattress protector to one like this one from SafeRest will help.
The cotton fabric also makes it super simple to wash. No one wants accidents to happen, but the truth is that they do, especially when you have pets. Even if your pets do not sleep in your bed, accidents can still happen. The SafeRest Mattress Protector will guard against spills, leaks, and accidents. A mattress cover made from cotton will provide the strength that will help your mattress have a long lifespan.
- The hypoallergenic cotton is easy to keep up with and will guard safely against spills, leaks and accidents, while also protecting against the allergens that pets may bring into the home
- The hypoallergenic cotton is also great for those who have pets but may have asthma or eczema, resulting in extra protection against harmful flareups
- The cotton material won’t change the feel of your mattress and will add an extra layer of comfort
- This mattress protector can be difficult to use if you have a cooling mattress or memory foam mattress, as the material and fit might change the effects of a memory foam and cooling mattress
- This mattress protector can prove to be a little noisy at times
The PlushDeluxe Premium Bamboo Mattress Protector by Plush Deluxe
This mattress protector by PlushDeluxe is a great option because it is made from natural fabric derived from bamboo, and is free of PVC, phthalates and vinyl, and is breathable and hypoallergenic. It is a great option for pet owners who may have slight allergies to their pets.
The bamboo cover makes this mattress protector soft and comfortable, and able to fit mattresses snug. The fabric will protect your mattress from dirt and dust that come from pets, and any spills and wear and tear pets may also bring. It also is able to regulate temperature, so if you allow your pet to sleep on your bed, it will help keep them comfortable.
It is completely waterproof and will protect against any pet accidents, which can cause serious damage to your mattress.
- The noiseless fabric brings a level of added comfort to your bed
- Backed by a 10-year warranty, making it reliable
- Since it is waterproof and hypoallergenic, it guards well against allergens, dust, dirt, spills, and pet accidents, helping protect the longevity of your mattress
- Can be difficult to fit over mattresses that are thick and not quite the standard mattress sizes for twin, full, queen, and king sizes
- Some purchasers report shrinkage after washing it
Having a mattress protector is essential in guarding against the wear and tear that pets can bring. Let’s compare the mattress protectors on this list and see how they match up.
|AllerEase Mattress Protector||The National Allergy Control Mattress Protector||SafeRest Mattress Protector||PlushDeluxe Premium Bamboo Mattress Protector|
|Pros||Complete allergen protection danderFully encasing zipper protectorNatural allergy relief 10-year limited warranty ||Made from 100% cotton Easy to clean Multiple size options Ultra-comfortable mattress pad300-thread count||Hypoallergenic cotton is easy to cleanHypoallergenic cotton guards well against allergensWon’t change the feel of your mattress Adds an extra layer of comfort||Noiseless fabric 10-year warrantyWaterproof and hypoallergenic|
|Cons||Thin materialRips easyCan be difficult to pinpoint an exact size ||Higher price point than mostCan be a bit loud Difficult installation process||Can be difficult to use if you have a cooling mattress or memory foam mattressCan be noisy||Can be difficult to fit over mattresses that are thick Shrinkage after washing|
As you can see, there are many great options. Finding the right fit for you will largely depend on your personal preferences. All of these mattress protectors have high Amazon reviews and are easy to use.
What are other ways I can protect my bed from pet allergens?
The Claritin Anti-Allergen Embossed Pillow Protector is a great way to instill the next level of protection in your bed from dust and allergens caused by pets. This pillow protector operates the same as a mattress protector in that it is a great guard against dust mites, allergens, pollen, pet dander, and even stains. It is one of the best pillow protectors on the market for guarding against allergens.
Having a pillow protector on all your bedroom pillows will add an extra layer of comfort to your home, and also increase the lifespan of your pillows, much like how the mattress protectors work. Both are great accessories for ensuring a healthy and comfortable night’s sleep.