Last Updated on June 19, 2023 by Rental Recon
There are many reasons an Airbnb host may want security cameras at their Airbnb rental.
Hosts take on a risk by renting their property to strangers. Many hosts feel safer knowing they have surveillance on their property to make sure the person who rented the Airbnb is actually staying there with the correct number of guests.
Some hosts manage their Airbnb from a distance. Having security cameras allows them to check in on their property from anywhere in the world. They will be able to see any damage or issues with their Airbnb without having to physically be there.
So, what are the best security cameras for Airbnb? The Superhosts at Rental Recon have tested out several security camera systems, and this is what we found.
What are the Best Security Cameras for Airbnb Rentals?
Our Top Pick: Blink HD Security Camera
We reviewed the Blink HD Security Camera using several criteria including picture quality, ease of installation, motion detection, and several other factors. Here are the results:
- Suitable for indoor or outdoor use
- Infrared night vision
- Up to two years of battery life
- Easy installation
- Real-time live view with two-way audio
- Easy to use app with alerts right on your phone
- Slight delay on motion sensor
- Cloud storage requires a subscription and fee
Our Pick for the Best Airbnb Security Camera
The Blink HD Security Camera is the best security camera for an Airbnb. This little camera is packed full of valuable features that will allow you to rest easy knowing your Airbnb is safe and secure.
2 used from $63.92
- Blink Outdoor is a wireless battery-powered HD security camera that helps you monitor your home day or night with infrared night vision.
- With long-lasting battery life, Outdoor runs for up to two years on two AA lithium batteries (included).
- Store video clips and photos in the cloud with the Blink Subscription Plan and save events locally to the Blink Sync Module 2 via a USB flash drive (sold separately).
The Blink security cameras are conveniently powered using two standard AA batteries. You won’t have to purchase any special batteries or deal with charging wires – simply pop the batteries in the camera, and you’re ready to record.
These cameras have a great battery life too. With regular usage, battery life can last up to two years. This is perfect if you manage your Airbnb from far away and can’t get there to change the batteries.
Indoor or Outdoor Use
Blink HD cameras can be used inside or outside your home. They are built to withstand the elements and even have infrared night vision for recording videos at night.
From your phone app, you can pull up a real-time live view of all of your cameras. These security cameras are equipped with two-way audio so you can speak to visitors from anywhere in the world.
The only downside of the Blink security cameras is that Amazon now requires a paid subscription to use cloud storage. However, cloud storage is not your only option. If you don’t want the subscription, you can plug a USB drive into your Blink Sync Module and save videos that way.
The Blink App
The app for Blink cameras is very easy to use and set up. You will have access to all your cameras, your account, and your saved videos all in one convenient location.
Are Airbnb’s Allowed to Have Security Cameras?
If you’re shopping for security cameras for your Airbnb, you may be wondering about Airbnb’s policies for cameras at rental properties. Airbnb properties are allowed to have security cameras, but they can only be outside or in common areas. The cameras must be clearly visible, and the guests must know they are in use.
Places that you CAN NOT have security cameras include:
- Common areas used for sleeping (e.g., living room with a sofa bed)
Locations where cameras are permitted:
- Outside monitoring a driveway or front door
- Common areas that will not be used for sleeping
Security cameras at your Airbnb are a great way to make sure guests are following your house rules, but what do you do when you catch a guest breaking the rules? Rental Recon answers that question in our article Airbnb House Rules Violations.
The Runner Up: REOLINK Argus PT Solar Powered Outdoor Camera
Airbnb permits the use of outdoor security cameras. If you’re looking for the perfect outdoor camera, look no further than the REOLINK Argus PT Solar Powered Outdoor Camera.
This 100% wireless security camera is entirely solar powered, so as long as you live somewhere sunny, you never have to worry about changing batteries or running out of power.
- 100% Wire-Free and Solar Powered: Argus PT runs on 2.4/5 GHz WiFi and stays fully-charged with Reolink Solar Panel which realize 100% wire-free security. With high-capacity battery, long-lasting power per charge and no worry about weather.
- Tilt & Pan and Stunning Night Vision: Argus PT can turn its head 355° horizontally and 140° vertically, which shows you everything in 4MP HD, you can see clearer night vision up to 33ft even at poor light.
Features of the REOLINK Argus PT
One feature I love about the Argus PT is that the camera head can turn 355 degrees horizontally and tilt 140 degrees vertically. This gives you a huge range of motion and the ability to see everything around your property.
The camera records in 4MP HD and has a 16X digital zoom. Even at night, you can clearly see up to 33 feet away.
Other features include:
- Person and vehicle detection
- Smart playback
- Customized siren
- Customized PIR schedule
Your stored videos are automatically encrypted and saved to the local SD card of your choice. You won’t have to pay any subscription fees – all you need is working WIFI, and you are ready to use this camera.
Can You Have Outdoor Cameras at Airbnb?
Yes. Hosts can have outdoor cameras at their Airbnb. Outdoor cameras allow hosts to monitor their driveway, yard, porch, or front door. This is a handy tool for hosts that don’t live close to their Airbnb.
Security cameras allow hosts to see how many people are coming and going from their property and how many cars are in the driveway. This helps hosts enforce their capacity rules and ensure that guests aren’t throwing parties at their Airbnb.
Hosts can also use door cameras, like the Ring Video Doorbell, to make sure the person checking in matches the person who booked the rental.
The Best Wireless Design: Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera
The Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera is a well-designed wireless security camera that is perfect for monitoring your Airbnb.
The Arlo camera records video in 1080p and has a wide-angle lens that allows you to see 130 degrees of your property.
- Capture clear details in full high definition - Arlo's Essential security camera records video in 1080p for a clear picture and see more of your property thanks to the wide 130º viewing angle.
- Coverage from every corner - Fast, wireless setup, the Essential Spotlight surveillance & security cameras deliver increased installation flexibility to get the perfect camera view
- See more at night - See important features like faces or license plates in full color, at night, with color night vision to make these outdoor security cameras the perfect cameras for home security
Unlike other security cameras that require a hub inside your home, the Arlo cameras are truly 100% wireless. Setup is fast and easy because they connect directly to your WIFI and are ready to use.
I love the versatility of the Arlo security cameras. They are made tough so that they can be used inside or outside. You can purchase compatible solar panels with your cameras for convenient outdoor charging. These cameras also will work seamlessly with any smart home platform, including:
- Amazon Alexa
- Apple HomeKit
- Ok Google
No matter what technology you have in your Airbnb, Arlo cameras will fit right in.
Notify Your Guests of Cameras in Use
If you are going to have a security camera at your Airbnb, even just a camera outside, Airbnb requires that you notify your guests that there are cameras in use.
Cameras located in shared spaces or outside need to be visible and disclosed in your listing. This means that under your home description on your Airbnb listing page, it needs to mention that there are security cameras on the property.
When a guest books, I like to mention that I have cameras at the property again to make sure they saw the disclosure in the listing description. I also include a section about the cameras in my “House Rules” book that I encourage all guests to read.
The more transparent you are about security cameras at your Airbnb, the more comfortable your guests will feel. You will also be sure that you aren’t violating Airbnb policies.
For full details on Airbnb’s security camera policies, click here.
The Budget Option: Ring Video Doorbell
If you want some sort of security at your Airbnb but don’t want to spend the money setting up an entire security system, the Ring Video Doorbell is a great option.
This tiny device is installed at your front door and will record all guests that enter and leave your Airbnb. It is a great tool for verifying how many people are staying at your property and identifying the renter from the Airbnb website.
Have you ever wondered what you would do if you found out there were more guests than allowed at your Airbnb? Check out Rental Recon’s advice article for handling guests who break your occupancy rules.
2 used from $52.94
- 1080p HD video doorbell with enhanced features that let you see, hear, and speak to anyone from your phone, tablet, or PC.
- An update from the original Ring Video Doorbell, enjoy improved motion detection, privacy zones and audio privacy, and crisper night vision.
- Receive mobile notifications when anyone presses your doorbell or triggers your built-in motion sensors.
- Powered by the built-in rechargeable battery or connects to existing doorbell wires for constant power.
Features of the Ring Video Doorbell
Although small, the Ring Doorbell has some great video features that include:
- 1080p HD video
- Ability to see, hear, and speak to guests in real-time from the app
- Improved motion detection with privacy zones
- Crisp night vision
- Built-in rechargeable battery
The Ring App is really easy to use, and you can control everything about your device from your phone no matter how far away you are from your Airbnb.
Final Thoughts on Airbnb Security Cameras
Many hosts choose to have security cameras at their Airbnb. Cameras are helpful tools for securing your property, checking in guests, and ensuring guests abide by house rules.
It is vital that hosts stay informed and up to date on Airbnb security camera policies to make sure they are following all Airbnb rules. Airbnb only allows cameras in common areas and outside if the cameras are visible and disclosed to the guest.
You can never put cameras in private areas like bathrooms or anywhere guests sleep.