Vacation Home Temperature Monitoring: Stay in Control of your Climate from Anywhere
**As an Amazon Associate, Rentalrecon.com earns from qualifying purchases.
If you have a vacation home or an Airbnb, it is normal to worry about your property when you aren’t there. If your property is in an extreme climate like the heat of Florida or the cold mountains of Montana, you will have even more concerns.
Monitoring the temperature in your vacation home is vital because a spike or drop in temperature can alert you that something at your house isn’t working correctly.
There are many temperature monitoring devices on the market, but which is best for vacation home temperature monitoring? I tested several temperature sensors in my Airbnb to find the best product. Keep reading for my in-depth review.
What are the Best Vacation Home Temperature Monitoring Systems?
- Our Top Pick: Temp Stick Wireless Temperature and Humidity Sensor
- The Runner Up: Govee WIFI Indoor Thermo-Hygrometer
- For Indoor and Outdoor: Logia 7-in-1 WIFI Weather Station
- The Budget Option: SensorPush Wireless Thermometer
We reviewed the Temp Stick sensor using five categories: Accuracy, ease of use, value, features, and customer satisfaction. Here are the results...
- Tracks temperature and humidity
- Receive customizable text and email alerts
- Easily connects directly to WIFI
- No fees or subscriptions
- It cannot be reset remotely
- It doesn’t work with a WIFI hotspot
Why is the Temp Stick Best for Monitoring Vacation Home Temperature?
The Temp Stick Wireless Remote Temperature and Humidity Sensor is the best all-around temperature monitoring system for your vacation home. This tiny sensor can be placed anywhere in your home for consistent, accurate monitoring of your vacation home’s climate. It is easy to use and provides instant text and email notifications.
Temp Stick Wireless Remote WiFi Temperature & Humidity Sensor. No Subscription or Monthly Fees. 24/7 Monitoring, Alerts & History. Free...
- Remote WiFi temperature and humidity monitor with NO MONTHLY FEES. 3 year warranty; the last sensor you need! MADE IN AMERICA.
- Sends TEXT MESSAGE, EMAIL & PUSH ALERTS for High/Low Temperatures, Humidity levels, WiFi connection loss and low battery.
- Superior 1 year (+) battery life! Completely wireless, battery operated sensor (AA batteries included). No gateways or wires needed. Check-in remotely from anywhere, anytime using your mobile, tablet or PC. Connects to your WiFi and monitors temperature and humidity in your home, refrigerator/freezer, walk-in cooler, wine cellar and much more.
In addition to vacation homes, you can also use this sensor to monitor the climate in these locations:
- Refrigerators, freezers, and other food storage locations
- RVs and mobile homes
- Wine cellars
Temperature and Humidity Tracking
The Temp Stick tracks temperatures from -40 degrees Fahrenheit to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Humidity is tracked on a scale of 0-100% RH. The Temp Stick is factory-calibrated, so it has excellent accuracy.
Whenever there is an important change in temperature or humidity, you will instantly receive an alert through text message or email. Temp Stick also alerts you if the battery is low, it loses WIFI signal, and when WIFI is restored.
You can customize your alerts and choose up to ten people to receive alerts.
WIFI Connection and Setup
Temp Stick connects directly to your WIFI network, and there is no need for a hub, gateway, or other devices. Setup is simple and takes under three minutes. You can even run multiple sensors at the same time.
Unlimited Data History
The Temp Stick app stores all your data for free without the hassle of a monthly subscription or fee. You can use the app to view easy-to-read graphs and charts that detail the temperature and humidity changes in your vacation home.
Negatives of Temp Stick
The only negatives I found with Temp Stick is with the WIFI connectivity. This sensor doesn’t seem to work well with hotspots and really needs a reliable continuous WIFI source. This could be an issue if your vacation home is an RV or located somewhere remote.
Overall Thoughts on the Temp Stick Wireless Sensor
I love the Temp Stick sensor because it is compact and straightforward. It accurately monitors the temperature in your vacation home, and you can rest assured that you will receive a notification if there is a climate issue in your house.
The Temp Stick’s battery life is 10-12 months, so if you go a long time between visits to your vacation home, you don’t have to worry. In addition, with Temp Stick, you will have access to U.S.-based phone support seven days a week for any issues.
Are you prepared if something does go wrong at your vacation home? Without the right insurance coverage, you could face astronomical repair costs. Learn about the best insurance for vacation homes and Airbnb rentals HERE.
The Runner Up: Govee WIFI Indoor Thermo-Hygrometer
The Govee WIFI Thermo-Hygrometer is a battery-powered temperature and humidity monitor that connects directly to your WIFI. This Swiss-made sensor is fast-acting and very accurate, so it is perfect for monitoring the climate in a vacation home.
Govee WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer H5179, Smart Humidity Temperature Sensor with App Notification Alert, 2 Years Free Data Storage Export, Remote...
- Smart WiFi Control: Easily monitor temp and humidity data in real time from anywhere. With stable WiFi and Bluetooth connection via the Govee Home app, you'll have more opportunities to react to changes in your air quality (not support 5G WiFi).
- Fast & Accurate: Equipped with a Swiss made sensor, this WiFi thermometer provides precise readings. Temperature is accurate to ±0.54℉/±0.3℃, and humidity is ±3%RH. By refreshing every 2s, you'll stay regularly updated. Now supports widget function.
Features of the Govee Sensor
The Govee sensor works in temperatures from -4 degrees Fahrenheit to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. It refreshes every 2 seconds, so you will always stay up to date on the temperature in your vacation home.
You can preset temperature and humidity ranges, and the Govee sensor will automatically notify you if the climate falls outside your range.
Govee provides customers with free data storage and export. The senor will upload data to the app, and your data will be stored in the app for up to twenty days for viewing. After that, you can export up to two years’ worth of data that is neatly shown in graphs and charts.
Pros of the Govee Sensor
- High accuracy temperature and humidity monitoring
- Customizable alerts and notifications
- Easy-to-use app
- Customizable temperature and humidity ranges
Cons of the Govee Sensor
- Not waterproof and cannot be used outside
- Needs stable and continuous WIFI
- It does not work with Google Home
For Indoor and Outdoor: Logia 7-in-1 WIFI Weather Station
If you’re looking for more than a basic temperature and humidity sensor, the Logia 7-in-1 Weather Station is a sensor that goes above and beyond. This comprehensive weather sensor can be used indoors or outside. With this sensor, you can collect the following weather data:
Logia 7-in-1 Wi-Fi Weather Station with Solar | Indoor/Outdoor Remote Monitoring System, Temperature Humidity Wind Speed/Direction Rain UV & More,...
3 used from $103.99
- 7-IN-1 PROFESSIONAL WEATHER STATION | All-in-One Monitoring System Provides Real-Time Weather & Precipitation Data Based on Conditions in Your Own Home & Backyard! | Get the Most Precise Temperature, Humidity, Wind, Rain, UV & Solar & Other Environmental Readings—More Accurate Than Any National Weather Station
- EASY-MOUNT BACKYARD SENSOR | Position Unit Outside on a Pole or Railing [Up to 492 Feet Away], Then View Personalized Up-to-the-Second Weather Data from Inside! | Complete Station Includes Wind Vane, Anemometer, Temp/Humidity Sensors, Rain Collector, UV and Solar Sensors, Level & Antenna | Runs for Up to 2.5 Years with the Integrated Solar Panel and 3 AA Batteries (batteries not included) | Includes an Intoor Temp/Humidity Sensor, Connect up to 7 sensors
- Indoor and outdoor temperature
- Indoor and outdoor humidity
- “Feels like” index
- Solar intensity
- 12/24 hour forecast
- Wind speed and direction
- Barometric pressure
- Rainfall and rain rate
The large full-color LED display screen will also show you the time, date, sunrise and sunset times, and moon phase.
With the Logia Weather Station, you will always know what is going on at your vacation home, whether there is a high heat index, a bad thunderstorm, or freezing temperatures.
Features of the Logia 7-in-1 Weather Station
The Logia Weather Station has a really cool feature that allows it to sync with live weather servers. This means it will connect with apps like Weather Underground or Weathercloud to track current data and historical trends.
The backyard sensor is easy to set up. It includes a wind vane, anemometer, temperature and humidity sensors, rain collection, UV and solar sensors, a level, and an antenna. This sensor runs on solar power, so you will never have to worry about changing batteries.
The indoor sensor can be plugged directly into a wall outlet but also has an optional battery backup. Both sensors can be monitored by an app if you’re away or with the Logia full-color LED weather station while at home.
Downsides of the Logia Weather Station
The only downside of this weather sensor is that it is very involved. If your goal is just to monitor the temperature and humidity in your vacation home, this 7-in-1 weather station may be more than you need.
There are less expensive options on the market that provide more simple data for monitoring vacation home temperatures.
The Budget Option: SensorPush Wireless Thermometer
For a budget-friendly vacation home temperature monitoring system, the SensorPush Wireless Thermometer gets the job done. This sensor is a basic temperature and humidity monitoring device that is perfect for vacation homes.
SensorPush HT.w Wireless Thermometer/Hygrometer Water-Resistant for iPhone/Android. USA Made Indoor/Outdoor Humidity/Temperature/Dewpoint/VPD Monitor/Logger. Smart Sensor with Alerts
- Accurate: Premium sensing component with accuracy of ±2%RH, ±0.2°C / 0.36°F. Professional-grade components, assembled in America into devices you can trust. For even more demanding applications, the device is easily calibratable to a trusted reference, or try the SensorPush HTP.xw for even greater out-of-the-box accuracy. Whichever SensorPush you choose, you'll enjoy reliable, quality monitoring of environmental conditions including air temperature, relative humidity, dewpoint and VPD
Features of the SensorPush Wireless Thermometer
This tiny budget friendly sensor is packed with valuable features that include:
High Accuracy– This sensor works in temperatures from -40 degrees Fahrenheit to 140 degrees Fahrenheit with an accuracy of 0.36 degrees Fahrenheit.
Long Battery Life– The sensor is powered by a lithium battery with an average lifespan of about two years.
Data Storage- Unlimited in-app data storage and 45 days of on-board data storage
App- Easy-to-use app for data monitoring and notifications
Cons of the SensorPush Thermometer
The sensor itself doesn’t connect to WIFI. If you are in range, you can use Bluetooth to monitor the device, but this isn’t ideal if you are trying to monitor your vacation home from afar.
If you would like to monitor the SensorPush thermometer through WIFI from a distance, you will need to purchase the SensorPush Gateway, which allows WIFI connectivity.
If you would like to do more than monitor the temperature in your vacation home, take the next step with a WIFI Thermostat. A WIFI thermostat will allow you to adjust the temperature in your home even when you are away. Take a look at RentalRecon’s review of the 5 Best Thermostats for Airbnb.