Last Updated on July 11, 2023 by Rental Recon
Making the living room as comfortable and welcoming as possible should also be at the very top of your list. The living room is often what creates a valuable first impression on your guests. As a Superhost with multiple properties, I’m excited to share my list of the best Airbnb living room essentials. I have also included an Airbnb Living Room Essentials Checklist for your use.
What are the Airbnb Living Room Essentials that Every Host Should Have?
Consider including soft chairs, blankets and pillows, entertainment options, ambient lighting, coffee and side tables, art and decor, and books or board games for visitors to enjoy in your Airbnb’s living area. For your visitors, these necessities will help create a home-away-from-home atmosphere.
Keep reading for a detailed look into why your Airbnb’s living room should definitely include these items.
1. Smart TV
A Smart TV is sure to keep even the pickiest guest entertained. This one is a super-affordable option and comes in a variety of sizes and price points. It is even compatible with Alexa and Google Home, allowing your guests the convenience of hands-free browsing.
- Easy Voice Control: Works with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant to help you find movie titles, launch or change channels, even switch inputs, using just your voice. Also available through the Roku mobile app
- Smart Functionality offers access to over 5,000 streaming channels featuring more than 500,000 movies and TV episodes via Roku TV
- 1080p Full HD Resolution excellent detail, color, and contrast
- Direct lit LED produces great picture quality with 60Hz refresh Rate for fast moving action scenes with virtually no Motion blur
2. Leather Sofa
Why leather? Airbnb sofas take a beating, and spills can be a big problem for fabric. Leather provides easy clean-up and stain resistance. If not real leather, faux leather or vegan material works just as well. Here is a sofa we have had good luck with in our rentals.
- MODERN SOFA - A striking addition to living rooms, lounge areas, and office reception spaces, this mid-century sofa's linear design and tubular polished metal legs bring retro style to the home
- STYLISH COMFORT - This living room sofa is complete with dense foam padding and a sinuous spring support system, offering a comfortable seat while you rest and relax
- VEGAN LEATHER UPHOLSTERY - Covered in smooth vegan leather upholstery, this stylish couch brings a sleek finish to both formal and casual living areas. Cushions are removable for easy cleaning
3. Super Fast WiFi
We all live in the 21st century, your guests included. They’ll be expecting super-fast WIFI just about anywhere they stay. The speed of the Wi-Fi depends partially on your cable company, but also on the hardware you choose.
6 used from $56.00
- Powerful 1.8GHz dual core processor leading edge 1.8GHz dual core 64 bit CPU with 2 co processors and stream processing architecture for smoother performance and powerful multi tasking
- Faster Wi Fi enjoy 4K video and play online games simultaneously with ultra fast 802.11AC Wave 2 MU MIMO Wi Fi. System Requirements Microsoft Windows 98SE, NT, 2000, XP, Vista or Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, MAC OS, NetWare, UNIX or Linux, Internet Explorer 11, Firefox 12.0, Chrome 20.0, Safari 4.0, or other Java enabled browser, Cable or DSL Modem, Subscription with an Internet Service Provider (for Internet access)
This TP-Link router allows users to stream 4K video and online gaming simultaneously if desired. It also has a far-reaching signal length, so there won’t be any pesky dead zones in your rental. Be sure your network name is easy to recognize and that your password is included in your house manual
Check our our complete list of Airbnb Essentials here, including bathroom, kitchen, bedroom essentials and more!
4. Elegant Side Tables, Coffee Table or Ottoman
Space permitting, your living room should have a functional ottoman or coffee table. Guests will need somewhere to set books, remote controls, laptops, food, and more. My favorite kind are the classy leather (or fake leather) ottomans with a lid that lifts up for extra storage. This is a great place to store extra pillows, blankets, or even board games. Just make sure to let guests know that it’s there!
If you have a nice ottoman or Airbnb coffee table, you’ll probably want to protect its surface from spills or other messes with a simple tray on top. This one is nice and large, and its stylish wood won’t snag or splinter. It even has a stain-resistant finish, so you won’t have to worry about replacing it any time soon. It’s also a great place to store your coasters and a few display books.
5. Key Storage Lockbox
Safely entering and exiting your Airbnb is critically important, both for guests and any staff or workers you may have. A quality key storage lockbox like this one by Master Lock protects your rental and your guests from unwanted visitors. It allows you to easily set and reset your own combination and can hold up to 5 house keys. It’s super durable and fits most standard doorknobs.
- SHARED SECURITY: Master Lock Key Lock Box for House Key 5400EC means protecting your home, without constantly giving and taking back keys. Holds up to 5 standard (2 inch) house keys.
- CUSTOMIZED COMBINATIONS: Set and reset combinations from thousands of choices to secure key box. It’s perfect for real estate agents, vacation/Airbnb properties, renovation projects or for guests or house-sitters.
- FITS MOST DOORS: This key lock box for outside has a shackle fitting most ball, biscuit, and tulip doorknob styles, an easy choice for almost any property.
6. Carbon Monoxide Detector & Smoke Detector
Carbon monoxide detectors (and smoke detectors) are unfortunately often overlooked when it comes to rental safety features. You’d want one in your home, so why wouldn’t you have one in your Airbnb? Most detectors are very compact and can be plugged into any standard wall outlet, and they rarely cost more than $20-30. Make sure you have one on each level of your home to ensure you get accurate readings! Check out our article What is the Best Carbon Monoxide Detector to Buy.
- Easy Installation - simply plug-in to a standard, 120V outlet in your home
- 2-AA battery backup provides protection during a power outage
- 85-decibel alarm announces when carbon monoxide is detected
- Peak Level Memory records the last time carbon monoxide was detected or when the unit was last tested
- Test-Hush Button makes testing the detector or silencing false alarms easy
- End of life chirp
7. Video Doorbell
The widespread use of all sorts of technology has made our lives as hosts so much simpler. After all, where would we be without easy-to-use, short-term rental sites like Airbnb? Video doorbells are another such handy item that can drastically reduce your workload and increase the security of your rental property.
The Ring Video Doorbell for Airbnb is one of the most popular options out there. It can be connected with your existing Alexa and can alert you when someone is at the door. You can even speak to the people outside via your smartphone! This makes check-in a breeze and allows you to know when your guests arrive and when they leave.
- 1080p HD video doorbell that lets you see, hear and speak to people from your phone, tablet, or select Echo device. Includes privacy features, such as customizable privacy zones and audio privacy, to focus only on what's relevant to you.
- Get notifications whenever motion is detected by adjusting your motion zones.
- With Live View, you can check in on your home any time through the Ring app.
- Easily setup your Ring Video Doorbell 2 by connecting to wifi via the Ring app and mounting in your desired location.
8. Charging Station
With the multitude of devices most people carry, a charging station in your rental’s living room is an absolute must. Many devices require a USB charging port, which is not standard in the vast majority of homes, leaving your guests having to use clunky adapters or simply go without.
This charging station by Simicore only needs to be plugged into the wall in one spot but allows for charging of up to four devices at once. Compatible with both Apple and Android plugs, with this charging station your guests won’t have to wrestle with cords or fight over wall outlets anymore.
3 used from $26.39
- CLEAN & ORGANIZED – No more cluttered cables. No need to plug a bunch of chargers on your power outlet for every phone and tablet you have. This compact electronics charging station keeps everything in one place – nice, clean and organized. It comes with 2 lightning cables for Apple, and 2 micro USB and 1 Type-C cable for Android.
- WORKS WITH ANY DEVICE – This USB charging station has 4 slots and 4 USB ports that can hold and charge up to 4 devices simultaneously. This device charging station works smoothly with any USB-powered device such as Apple iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones, tablets, cameras, eReaders, Bluetooth headsets, speakers and more.
9. TV Straps
TV straps are another all-important safety feature that most hosts tend not to consider. If your TV’s dimensions are greater than 20 inches, I always recommend them. They serve two purposes: protecting your TV and protecting your guests.
Rowdy renters can accidentally bump into an entertainment center and send your pricey Smart TV tumbling to its demise. Even worse, it could land on a guest, which could end in injury or even a lawsuit against you. These straps cost just under $14 and can secure your TV to either the entertainment center or the wall.
- ✅ SECURE HOME BY JESSA LEONA CHILD PROOF TV AND FURNITURE ANTI TIP STRAPS; Unlike many similar products in the market, our baby proofing tv and furniture anti tip straps are made from the highest quality metal parts ensuring more durability. Extreme care has been taken to the durability of the straps.
- ✅ HIGHEST QUALITY FOR THE BEST PROTECTION - Both end plates that secure to the TV/furniture/wall and the cam buckle are made of industry standard metal to ensure the best tip-over protection. The incredible jaw grip prevents sliding and is easily adjustable to loosen or tighten the strap. The straps are detachable for cleaning and moving purposes. Each heavy duty nylon webbing is triple-stitched for extra strength.
10. Ozone Machine
An Ozone machine isn’t something I had thought to include until some rule-breaking guests left my Airbnb smelling like cigarette smoke and I had more renters on their way the next morning! Thankfully, these machines efficiently get rid of all kinds of odors ranging from smoke to pet odors and even paint fumes.
This machine, by Enerzen, is ultra-low-maintenance and has no filters to clean. You can even set a timer to control the length of Ozone production time, but keep in mind that all Ozone machines must be used while the building is unoccupied.
- DEODORIZES AREAS YOU CAN'T REACH: Ozone does not require air passing through the machine to deodorize.
- COMMON USES: Deodorize cars, boats, dumpsters, kitchens, bathrooms, basements, flood and fire affected areas, as well as any cooking, smoking, pet, "musty", or general odors.
- EASY OPERATION: Turn the timer knob. Leave the space. When ozone generation is finished, allow an additional 30 minutes for any residual ozone to revert back to breathable air.
Even if your Airbnb unit allows guests to control the temperature via thermostat, a fan is always a welcome inclusion. Some guests within the same party may feel comfortable at different temperatures, or maybe some rooms within your rental heat or cool at varying rates.
Either way, this sleek tower fan comes in both a 40-inch and 17-inch size to fit any rental’s needs. It has an energy-saving eco-mode and a programmable timer, perfect for those who like to sleep with the fan on.
- 3 ultra-quiet speed settings: High, Medium and Low for customizing airflow
- Oscillates 80 degrees for fast-spreading, powerful air movement
- 3 timing selections (1 hour, 2 hours or 4 hours) permit automatic shutdown so you can set it and forget it
- One-push operation with LED light indicators allows easy operation for hands of all sizes
- Perfect for small spaces, desks, countertops and workstations
- 165 CFM
**Check out our comprehensive list of Airbnb Bedroom Essentials here…>>
Nobody wants to spend time refinishing your nice end table because somebody left a coffee ring on it. A decent set of coasters will save you so much time and money that they’re practically worth their weight in gold!
- RAISED EDGE CATCHES WATER CONDENSATION: Drink coaster with lip protecting your glass/wooden table from stains or water rings.
- TABLETOP PROTECTION: Prevent condensation from leaving any stains or water marks on your countertop, bar, or tabletop surface.
- NON-SLIP DESIGN: Soft foam pads at the bottom to protect your furniture surface from slipping and scratching.
- ECO-FRIENDLY: Unlike paper or cardboard coasters, these wood coasters are reusable; clean as needed with a damp cloth and towel dry for best results.
13. Full-Length Mirror
Everybody needs a place to do a quick once-over on their way out the door. Guests will appreciate you having a full-length mirror placed strategically in your living room or entry so they can do a last-minute outfit check before heading out to dinner.
This one has legs, so it can be a standalone piece. For living rooms that are a little more tight on space, one that mounts to the wall or the back of a door are excellent options.
- SIZE: Full size, 65"x22", large enough for you to see your entire figure in a single glance.
- FRAME: Aluminum alloy frame, black color, elegant. Very thin frame (only 0.16" wide on front), wire drawing treat, simpler and more textured. No discoloration, no odor, safe and environmentally friendly.
- GLASS & MIRROR: High-definition. Scatter prevention and explosion-proof membrane, burst-proof, shattered glass will not be spilled out even impacted by external force, more safe and protective. Copper-free silver mirror, environmentally friendly. Coating with silver nitrate, anti-rust treatment, no oxidize and rust. Multi-layered, more protection. Original edge-sealing technology, lasting and more durable.
Rental Recon Tip: Consider having an umbrella stand (or even a hook) near the door with one or two compact umbrellas for your guests to use. These are almost never packed by guests but will certainly be very appreciated during that unexpected downpour!
14. House Plants
Decorative Plants can really change the look and feel of a room. An otherwise plain and boring space can become classic and minimalist with the addition of a few select houseplants. You can even use high-quality faux plants, it’s unlikely that anyone will notice!
Real plants have the added bonus of cleaning the air and sometimes flowering beautifully, however, guests with allergies may not be so appreciative of this. Also, be sure to consider whether or not you have to time to keep up on watering or repotting if necessary (nobody wants to see a dead plant!).
- STYLISH INDOOR PLANT: Bring home a beautiful Fiddle Leaf Fig live plant for a tropical feel. Ficus lyrata houseplants are lush and green, dramatically improving indoor room decor aesthetic and bringing a focal point to any living room, office, and bedroom
- GORGEOUS HOME DECOR: Fiddle Leaf Fig adds instant flair to any interior space. Its versatility in any setting make it a statement piece and conversation starter. Fiddle Leaf Fig tree is potted in a modern decor planter, ready to admire after unboxing
15. Throw Blanket
Throw Blankets are an absolute must-have for your Airbnb’s living room. Unless you have very minimal seating, just one blanket is usually not sufficient. I would recommend including at least two, if not more, as long as it doesn’t crowd your space.
You can always have extras available in a linen closet or hidden in a storage ottoman. I like to have at least one heavier one and one lighter option to make sure that everyone is comfortable. Check out our article on the best Airbnb blankets here.
- ❤MATERIAL- Made of high grade 330 GSM 100% microfiber polyester, which is super soft, durable and warm. Its superior breathable makes the blanket ideal for sofa, couch, bed, car and airplane when snuggling or relaxing.
- ❤POMPOM DESIGN- Flannel fabric with pompoms fringe around the blanket, plain solid with refreshing color, is very lovely. Throw blanket with the beautiful design and softest feel can be your best choice.
16. Colorful Throw Pillows
Colorful Throw Pillows allow you to add an easy pop of color to your living room without making any permanent changes. These pillows have abstract, whimsical flowers on them and come in a set of four. You can use all of them together or rotate them out for a fresh look.
As with all the fabrics in your rental, make sure you use cotton or another non-irritating material that is easily machine washable. Cheaply made pillows may have colors that rub off onto clothing, which is a big no-no.
17. Airbnb House Manual
Your Airbnb House Manual is critical to ensuring that each booking goes smoothly. It helps guests to understand what to expect, and it functions as your first line of communication with them if you aren’t personally checking them in. I like to use a nice binder or portfolio with clearly labeled sections. You can even have one that doubles as a guest book.
You should obviously include your house’s rules in the manual, but it is also helpful to include things like the WIFI password and a guide to using the TV and other streaming devices, if available. It’s also nice to have a list of your “must-visit” places in town. You can even have categories like restaurants, family fun, and outdoor adventures.
Rental Recon Tip: Sometimes a thorough house manual can be tedious and difficult to read. Use handy tools like colorful dividers and a table of contents so your guests can find what they need quickly. A “fast facts” cover page makes sure your most important information gets conveyed.
18. Durable Rug
A durable rug is a game-changer from a host’s perspective. You should choose a color that doesn’t show dirt or stains prominently, often a patterned texture is helpful in this as well. This rug will see a ton of foot traffic, so make sure it isn’t too high-pile or you’ll quickly be able to see paths getting worn down.
- [STAIN RESISTANT & NON-SHEDDING]: Expertly machine-woven from enhanced synthetic durable fibers that are stain resistant and have a virtually non-shedding 0.45-inch thick pile
- [KID AND PET-FRIENDLY]: Safe for everyday indoor high foot traffic and areas more prone to life’s unpredictable messes from kid or pet activity
- [TRENDY STYLE]: Moroccan ombre design beautifully enhances any room of the home, from the living room, dining room, bedroom, entryway, nursery, dorm room, study, home office, or eat-in kitchen
Another thing to consider is the size of the rug and whether or not it is machine washable. Get a rug that covers your living space adequately, but ideally isn’t so big that you can’t fit it into your washer if at all possible. Being able to wash it yourself and not having to hire a carpet cleaning company saves a lot of money over time. If you can’t machine wash it due to size constraints or other factors, consider investing in a small carpet cleaner of your own.
19. Appealing Lighting
Lighting can make or break the ambience of a room. A nice multi-brightness lamp like this one lets guests choose their own settings and takes the guesswork out of your hands. This lamp features a beautiful farmhouse appeal and has USB outlets for your guests.
- Set of 2 lamps. Each is 25 1/4" high overall. Bases are 7 1/8" square. Shades are 13 1/2" wide at the top x 15" wide at the bottom x 9 1/2" high.
- Each lamp uses one maximum 150 watt standard-medium base bulb for main light (not included). Includes two 4 watt amber Edison style night light LED bulbs.
- 4-way switch on the socket: top light on, night light on, both on, both off.
- Modern industrial table lamps set from the Franklin Iron Works brand.
20. Games for Guests
Whether or not your Airbnb specifically caters to families, games and activities for guests are still a good idea to have. These can range from things as simple as a deck of cards to an entire board game collection. Many tables or trays have a chessboard top, making it easy for your guests to enjoy a game on a rainy day. If you have lots of table space, puzzles are a great option to keep people of all ages entertained.
- Three of the Most Popular Classic Board Games in Elegant Style in One Collection
- Elegant Design for Open Bookshelf Display - Each Bookshelf case measures 10.6 in x 8.4 in x 2.6 in
- Each Game Features Vintage Graphic Design Inspired by Classic Editions
- Scrabble is for 2 to 4 Players, Monopoly is for 2 to 8 Players, Clue is for 3 to 6 Players
- All Games Appropriate For Ages 8 and Up
21. High-Quality Speakers
Even the fanciest TV can’t be enjoyed if the sound doesn’t reach everyone in the room. Some nice high-quality speakers can fix these bad acoustics or further enhance an already great entertainment center. This portable speaker has 360-degree surround sound and is water-resistant, meaning it can be used both for cozying up with a movie out or outside at a pool party.
5 used from $144.88
- Deep, loud and immersive sound, with true 360 degree coverage
- Built-in mic for speakerphone to take clear conference or personal calls out loud with a wireless range of approximately 30 feet.
- Seamless aluminum body is durable and water resistant (IPX4)
- Enjoy up to 12 hours of play time from a rechargeable, lithium-ion battery
- Wireless Bluetooth pairing with voice prompts allows you to easily take calls and access your phone’s virtual assistant — hands free
A streaming device will allow your guests to enjoy services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and more with ease. This Amazon Fire TV Stick can plug into almost any HDTV and pairs with Alexa to allow voice controls. If you aren’t ready to shell out for a pricier Smart TV just yet, devices like this make great, affordable alternatives.
22. Streaming Services
Many hosts are now choosing to purchase a few streaming subscription services instead of a cable service. It can be a lot more cost-effective and allows guests greater flexibility in choosing what to watch. Additionally, some streaming services now offer cable subscriptions as part of their plans, giving you even more options to choose from.
Books, to me, are a big part of what sets Airbnb rentals apart from traditional, impersonal hotels. There’s nothing warmer and more inviting than a well-stocked bookshelf and a nice chair to cozy up in.
But you don’t have to keep an entire library’s worth on hand to please your guests, a small selection will do just fine. Lots of hosts choose to keep a few classic options around, like Harry Potter or a set of Charles Dickens novels. It is also a nice touch to feature local authors, if possible, or a book or two specific to your location that details its history.
30 used from $27.96
Need more ideas for your Airbnb? Check out our Airbnb Bedroom Essentials article here…>>
It’s generally not an issue. If a guest were to damage or break something like your speakers or Smart TV, it should be covered under your short-term rental insurance or Airbnb’s protection program. Guests have come to expect that these higher-tech streaming devices and other items (or at the very least, a TV) will be available, so it is better to offer them than to not.
Consider outfitting the living room to be a little more multifunctional. It can still be a normal hangout area during the day, but at night the guests sleeping in it will appreciate a few more creature comforts. Things like regular bed pillows and extra blankets in varying weights can make it significantly nicer for them. You could even include blackout curtains if your living room has an abundance of natural light.