We have used quite a few smart locks over the years for our Airbnb properties and wanted to give you the breakdown on which ones we liked best. Here is our list of our best smart locks for Airbnb and vacation rentals:
The Best Smart Locks for Airbnb & Vacation Rental Hosts Are (Key and Keyless Options):
- Our Top Pick: August Smart Lock Pro + August Smart Keypad
- Our Runner Up: Yale Assure Lock
- Notable Mention: Schlage Lock BE469ZP
- Best Budget Option: ULTRALOQ U-Bolt Lock
- NexTrend Smart Deadbolt Lock
- Video Smart Lock by Gate Labs
So, why are these smart locks the best options for your Airbnb? I’ll break down each of these locks, including the pros/ cons to help you make the best-informed decision before diving into the world of smart locks.
Our Top Pick: August Smart Lock Pro + August Smart Keypad
When you combine the August Smart Lock with the August Keypad, you get a simple self-check-in for your guests.
- Easy Installation
- Does Not Damage Existing Locks
- Works with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Compatible with Alexa, Siri, Google Home, Apple Home Kit & Nest
- Easy Control and Monitoring from Smartphones, Smartwatches, and Tablets
- Auto-Lock Capability
- Door Sense Feature
- Few Options When Setting the Auto-Lock Timer
- Won't Work on Doors with Multiple Deadbolts
- Bluetooth Signal Strength is Limited
- Need to Buy Keypad for Unique Pass-Codes
22 used from $150.00
- Control and monitor your door from anywhere..Note: Measure your door's backset, cross bore and thickness to ensure you find the right fit
- Always know who is coming and going.
- Keep your existing lock and keys.
- Features Auto-Lock and Auto-Unlock.
It turns out that August Home is one of the top-performing and trusted brands for home technology. August has an entire line of products that link together to provide a seamless entry experience into your home.
The August Smart Lock Pro replaces the interior side of your deadbolt and operates the lock using a battery-powered housing. Check out this quick video to get a summary of the smart lock features:
Deadbolt is Required
You need to have a deadbolt to use this Airbnb smart lock. It is easy to install to your existing deadbolt by removing the interior faceplate/ lever and installing the August Smart Lock Pro over the opening.
If you have a deadbolt above, and a regular locked lever below, you’ll need to replace the main lever to a “no-lock” version. Otherwise, guests will inevitably lock the bottom lock on their way out, and be calling you to get them back into the house because they don’t have a key.
Operate Lock from the August App
You can control this smart lock via the August app and can control it from anywhere, which makes it easy if you operate an Airbnb or vacation rental from afar.
August Smart Keypad
If you decide to go with the August Smart Lock Pro, you will need to buy the additional August Smart Keypad. This stand-alone keypad links to your smart lock via Bluetooth and allows unique passcodes to be set up for each guest.
We also like that the August Smart Lock Pro also has Door Sense, which is a sensor that alerts you if your door is left open, or not closed all the way, and it also notifies you when the door is securely shut.
You could also add the August Doorbell Cam, which allows you to see people at the door, and communicate with them if need be. When connected to your August Smart Lock Pro, you can unlock the door via the app.
If you live at home and Airbnb a part of your house, you may have issues where your August lock unlocks the door as you go to see who rang your doorbell (if you have your phone in your hand or pocket. This may be a security issue that you need to consider.
We felt that the battery life was OK, and the app did notify when the batteries are low. Overall not many negatives…mostly all positives for the August Smart Lock Pro. We use these locks in most of our properties, and overall have been very impressed with their performance. Check out pricing HERE. >>
Check Out Our Other Articles on Rental Recon:
- Can an Airbnb Host [Come in Unannounced]?: Know Your Rights!
- Does Airbnb Background Check Guests?
- [Vetting Airbnb Guests]: How to Screen Your Airbnb Guests 
Our Runner Up: Yale Assure Lock
Our runner-up is the Yale Assure lock. This is a strong contender with the August lock mentioned above. We have used these in a couple of our Airbnbs and felt that overall this was a well-rounded lock for Airbnb hosts.
The Yale Assure Lock is an August product, but still has the trusted name hold of Yale. This lock is meant to replace your existing deadbolt with its keypad feature, but still has the option for key entry if you need it. The Yale Assure Lock can be used with the August app, so you can lock and unlock the door from the comfort of your phone.
This Airbnb smart lock is compatible with smart devices like Alexa, Google Home, and even Siri, so you can operate the door with voice commands.
3 used from $217.36
- Lose your keys, for good: Hands full. Have your door unlock for you with Auto-Unlock. Or unlock using the keypad, or Yale Access app on your smartphone or Apple Watch. Enjoy key-free access and leave the bulky keychain behind..Note: Measure your door's backset, cross bore and thickness to ensure you find the right fit
- Expand your smart home: Connect your lock to your favorite voice assistant or smart home system. Works with Amazon Alexa, Hey Google, Airbnb, Philips Hue, Apple HomeKit, and more. Includes the Wi-Fi Connect Bridge so there’s no additional hub needed.
Pros & Cons
- Easy pairing with other devices
- Easy installation
- Long battery life
- High-quality material and hardware
- Quick Z-Wave communication makes for a quick lock and unlock
- Helpful customer service and access to a customer service helpline
- This smart lock will not work with every door as it is best suitable for thicker doors
- You will need to purchase a separate hub to use it with other smart devices
- Does not work well on a weak Wi-Fi connection
- Does not have unique codes for guest entry
The key code entry makes it convenient for guests in your Airbnb, as you can simply include the door code on check-in instructions. This type of entry makes your home more secure and relieves you of the hassle of lost keys.
Styles and Durability of the Yale Assure Lock
There is a wide range of design styles, from traditional styles to a more contemporary look. You can easily install the Yale Assure Lock without worrying it will look out of place. It is weatherproof, so you will not have to worry about wear and tear on the exterior side of the lock.
Notable Mention: Schlage Lock BE469ZP
The Schlage Lock BE469ZP by Schlage is a great Airbnb smart lock to pair with Z Wave smart technology. This makes it easy to also pair with Samsung technology, SmartThings, or Ring Alarm. These technologies will allow you to lock and unlock doors from anywhere.
Hands Free Voice Control
The Schlage lock has hands-free voice control when paired with the Z Wave smart home system and can be paired with Alexa as another method of voice control. Z wave technology makes it easy to control your smart lock and does not require an extra purchase. This is one of its best features.
1 used from $370.00
- Pair with a Z Wave smart home or security system like Samsung SmartThings or Ring Alarm to lock and unlock from anywhere
- Hands free voice control requires Z Wave smart home system and compatible voice assistant; Alexa device (sold separately)
- Easy to install with just a screwdriver; Unique Snap ‘n Stay technology snaps the deadbolt onto the door so both hands are free during installation
- Use the finger print resistant touchscreen to share up to 30 access codes instead of keeping track of spare keys.Keying: 5-pin tumbler, C Keyway, 1 key included
Pros & Cons
- Easy installation process
- Pairs with most smart technology, including Alexa
- Pairs with Z Wave and SmartThings technology to ensure safe and hassle-free use
- Allows for multiple code programming, including unique codes for guest entryEasy control and monitoring from smartphones and tablets
- Long battery life
- Has a wider range of door sizes that it can be installed on (1 3/8″ to 1 3/4″, and 2 3/8″ to 2 3/4″)
- Low luminosity on the keypad, making it difficult to see in the dark or poor lighting
- Not compatible with Vera Edge or Wink systems
- Loud beep notifications during locking and unlocking of the door
The Snap ‘n Stay technology snaps the lock to your door during installation, allowing both your hands to be free when installing. This Airbnb smart lock also has an easy installation process, as you will just need a screwdriver.
Multiple Codes for Guests
The keypad screen is fingerprint resistant, making it easy to share multiple codes (the Schlage Lock allows up to 30, which is convenient during busy booking times.)
The SmartThings hub that is available as an add-on gives you an extra security measure, as you can see when the door is locked and unlocked. There is a feature that allows you to set an emergency code, so if you want to have a code for yourself and your guests, you can activate it whenever they stay.
Overall, this smart lock is on par with the rest of Schlage’s heavy-duty deadbolts. The lock is very durable and consistently runs well over a long period of time.
**If you are living in your home while hosting, you might want to consider bedroom locks. Check out our article on the best Airbnb bedroom locks here…>>
Reagle Smart Deadbolt Lock
The Reagle Smart Deadbolt Lock is most notable because of its compatibility with Apple. It is Apple HomeKit certified, and with that, you can check the status of your Airbnb lock, open and close the door (including voice command with Siri), and you can get notified when people come through the door.
It can be difficult to use multiple technological services for one device at times, so having the Apple HomeKit makes this lock convenient for iPhone users.
- Easy DIY Installation & Setup: Installs in 15 minutes, all you need is a screwdriver. Replaces your existing deadbolt lock and keys. Connects to your smartphone via Bluetooth. Fits doors 1-3/8" to 2" thick (35mm to 51mm)
- Smart Sharing & Management: Create customized temporary access rights to your door for friends, family or BnB guests. Share them within seconds through our Reagle App. Easily manage multiple Reagle Locks from your smartphone
Pros & Cons
- Easy technology for iPhone users
- Easy installation process
- Easy management of multiple locks
- Unique codes for guest entry
- Voice command technology
- Low battery sensor
- Sleek design
- Can be complicated to use if you are not an iPhone user
- Some of the design includes plastic, which can make the product less heavy-duty (depending on weather conditions over longer periods of time, door type, etc.)
Reagle claims that it takes just 15 minutes and a screwdriver to install this smart lock. All you need is your phone to further install the programming and start using the Reagle Smart Deadbolt Lock. You can also receive notifications when the batteries are running low, so you will not have to worry about the lock not working while you are away due to battery issues.
Custom Temporary Access
An extra measure of security the Reagle Smart Deadbolt Lock has is its ability to create custom temporary access shared through the Reagle App. You can even manage multiple Reagle locks if you have them on multiple Airbnbs. This technology makes this lock safe and easy to keep track of the security of your Airbnb.
ULTRALOQ U-Bolt Smart Lock
The ULTRALOQ U-Bolt lock by Ultraloq is a multifunctional Airbnb smart lock. The 5-in-1 entry lock includes smartphone pairing, auto-lock and unlock, and a mechanical key lock option making it a versatile option that can fit any Airbnb. It also has Bluetooth pairing available, making it even more user-friendly.
7 used from $109.00
- Control Your Ultraloq Smart Lock Anytime, Anywhere: Unlock, share access and see a Log of who's entered and exactly when they did remotely using smartphone App with WiFi Bridge included. Share ekey or code remotely to your family, guests or service people for permanent access, specific dates or periods of time. Connectivity: 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11 b/g/n).
- 5-in-1 Keyless Entry Smart Lock: Anti-peep Keypad + Smartphone + Auto Unlock + Shake to Open + Mechanical Key
Pros & Cons
- Fingerprint lock technology
- Bluetooth pairing and Wi-Fi access
- Unique codes for guest entry
- Alerts smartphones when the door opens and closes via the lock’s U-tec app
- Automatic lock system
- Lightweight yet secure lock design
- Short battery life
- Issues when multiple users use Wi-Fi on the same lock
- Weather in rainy or cold climates can cause a few issues with the fingerprint technology
The anti-peep keypad allows you to type in random numbers, along with the password (as long as the password is embedded into the longer set of random numbers), making it difficult for protentional onlookers to gain access to the door. The auto-lock and unlock feature locks the door as soon as it closes, and you can set it up so that it unlocks upon arrival as well.
Unique Code for Guests
One of the ULTRALOQ U-Bolt’s best features is that you can give access to guests with a special code or ekey, lasting for custom periods of time. This is a great feature for Airbnb hosts, as you can change it after each visit for an extra measure of security.
This smart lock has dual data encryption, making it impossible to unlock the door without homeowner permission. This lock ensures the highest level of safety.
NexTrend Smart Deadbolt
The NexTrend Smart Deadbolt prides itself on its high standard of convenience and safety. The keyless access allows Airbnb hosts to enter a smart code, use Bluetooth, set permanent codes, timed codes, one-time codes, cyclic codes, custom codes. and has an auto-lock function that can be set anywhere from 5 to 120 seconds.
Send Guests Your eKey
An extra measure of convenience is that hosts can send the Ekey to guests via the free app. Once a user is authorized, they have access to the Ekey, and can control the lock. This makes it especially convenient for Airbnb hosts, as you will not have to monitor or control the lock while you have guests. Instead, they can do it on their time. This will make for an overall convenient stay in your Airbnb or vacation rental.
[Newest]Smart Lock, NexTrend Smart Electronic Door Lock with Bluetooth Keyless, Touchscreen, Mechanical Keys Enabled Auto Lock Alarm Technology for Home,...
- Smart Keyless Entry - Passcode+Bluetooth+Key, the AUTO LOCK function can help when you forget to lock the door. Support WiFi remotely unlock (need a gateway, sold separately). Important installation tips please refer to the user guide below or the message we sent.
- Touchscreen Lock - This electronic deadbolt door lock has intuitive OLED display, zinc alloy body. 4pcs AA batteries can provide 5000 openings (approx. 6 months). All unlock records by keypad or APP will be recorded even if you enter the wrong password, you can synchronize records by turning on Bluetooth near the door lock. For security reason, it will automatically lock for 5 minutes when enter the password incorrectly more than 5 times.
Pros & Cons
- Long battery life
- Excellent customer service
- Compatible with smartphones and tablets
- Easy to control via the app
- Multiple types of codes, including unique codes for guest entry
- Sleek design
- Only one user can use the app for a given lock at a time
- Lengthy installation instructions
Another important feature the NexTrend Smart Deadbolt lock prides itself on is its customer service and warranty policy. They promise a 30-day worry-free return and exchange service, as well as lifetime free technical assistance with the lock.
The battery life is higher than most smart locks, as it can last up to 5,000 door-openings on just 4 AA batteries.
Video Smart Lock by Gate Labs
The Video Smart Lock by Gate Labs is one of the most technologically advanced on this list. It comes with many features, along with add-ons such as extra battery capacity, and a premium plan.
You can control this smart lock from remote locations via the Gate app. With this app, you can prevent unauthorized access with a keypad lock, unique passcodes, and an entry log. In addition, there is a doorbell feature, two-way audio, and motion-activated live streaming, which are all available on the app.
- ALWAYS KNOW WHO'S AT THE DOOR. Gate's motion-activated camera streams real-time, high-resolution video to your smartphone so you know who your visitors are at all times.
- MANAGE ACCESS REMOTELY. With the Gate App for iOS and Android, you can control access to your door from wherever you are.
- CREATE INDIVIDUAL PASSCODES. That way friends, family, housecleaners, dog walkers, babysitters, or other people you trust can come and go without a key.
Pros & Cons
- Live-stream video capability
- Two-way voice communication ability
- Admin controlled lock via the app
- Compatible with smartphones
- Unique codes for guest entry
- Entry log
- Shorter warranty than some on this list
- Auto-lock feature locks the door in 10, 20, and 30-minute increments, which can be too long of a lapse in time-based on preference
- (Depending on user preference) the battery-free charging system
Communicate Through The Lock
The motion-activated live streaming alerts you when there is someone at your door. You can use the two-way audio feature to communicate on the live stream as well. This is the ideal smart lock for Airbnb hosts or vacation rental owners who are utilizing a back house, basement rentals, or rooms on the property, as you can communicate directly with guests upon arrival.
Multiple User Functionality
The app allows for multiple users to operate on one lock, allowing one person to be the admin, giving the ability to lock, unlock, and play video on the app. This Gate Labs smart lock is also battery-free and can be charged quickly.
The front of this smart lock is weather resistant and can withstand temperatures from -4 degrees Fahrenheit to 185 degrees Fahrenheit. It should be noted that the back of the smart lock intended for the interior is not weather resistant.
There is a great warranty of a 30-day money-back guarantee, and when purchased on Amazon you can back it up with a 3 or 4-year protection plan.
As the most high-tech smart lock on this list (due to the video access), we love its functionality and high-tech functions. We find the video monitoring very useful and easy to use and say the set-up time is quick.
Smart locks are an important tool to make your Airbnb and vacation rental homes the best they can be and provide guests with an excellent experience. While they can be pricy, they are a worthwhile investment to boost the overall quality of your rental and help guests to have the most comfortable and safe time possible.
Most of these locks have long and flexible warranties for smart hardware, so you can try out these products and decide for yourself which one is right for you. Installation is quick and easy, and most do not require you to replace existing locks, so it is not permanent.
**Make sure and check out all of our Airbnb living room essentials here…>>
Alarms and security cameras are effective ways to add extra security to your Airbnb or vacation rental. However, many of the smart locks listed feature advanced technology that allows alerts when the door is unlocked, when people come in and out of the door, and alerts when the door is unlocked or not fully closed. In addition, they provide auto-locks as an extra security measure.
This is not only helpful for you to monitor the security of your Airbnb, but also to help guests feel safer. They can download the apps associated with the smart locks (because each lock has its own app, you will need to check each lock to ensure your guests have the right one downloaded) and monitor door security in the duration of their stay.
Most smart locks only require a Philips head screwdriver to install and do not require you to drill holes or make alterations to your door or previous locks. All other hardware should be included with the purchase of the lock. Be sure to check the product information before you purchase it to ensure that the lock can be installed onto your door.