**As an Amazon Associate, Rentalrecon.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Go To Best Airbnb Thermostats>
There are plenty of gadgets you can add to your Airbnb home to make your guests’ experience go from good to great. One that you might not be thinking of is a smart thermostat. Smart thermostats can do so much more than just regulate the temperature. As an Airbnb Superhost, I have tried several different thermostats. After some trial and error, I have decided that the Nest Thermostat is the right selection for my Airbnb.
The Nest Thermostat for Airbnb homes Works Well for Two Main Reasons:
- To monitor guests coming and going, by alerting the host through the Nest App.
- The temperature locking feature, which can be utilized by hosts to control the maximum and minimum temperatures that the guests can set
Why it’s Useful for Monitoring Airbnb Guests Coming and Going
It can be difficult to pin down check-in and check-out times as an Airbnb host, especially if you are operating remotely. Using all of the Nest’s advanced features, you can get updated on when guests check-in if you cannot be there to greet them. You can also track when they check-out, which can be useful to get a jump start on cleaning
This makes the Nest Thermostat a super simple and super convenient device for both Airbnb hosts and your guests. Differences like these can take you from a host to a Superhost.
How Temperature Locking is an Important Feature for Guests and Hosts
For guests, the temperature locking feature is a great way to ensure they have a comfortable stay. They can adjust the temperature to whatever they would like and keep it that way the duration of their stay. When the guests have their perfect temperature, they feel comfortable and relaxed and are sure to have a cozy and comfortable stay in your Airbnb home.
As a host, this feature is great if you do not want guests to change the temperature. While I do not recommend not allowing guests to make adjustments on the thermostat, you might consider it. If that is you, then it is a nice feature because it will allow you to set the temperature before guests arrive. You can be more in charge of your electricity bill and relieve guests of the task of having to make adjustments themselves.
Google, T3007ES, Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Gen, Smart Thermostat, Stainless Steel, Works With Alexa
$219.99 in stock
2 used from $189.99
- Programmable smart thermostat that learns your schedule and the temperatures you like and programs itself to help you save energy and stay comfortable
- Home/Away Assist automatically adjusts itself to an Eco Temperature after you leave, so you don’t heat or cool an empty home
- Remote control lets family members change the temperature from anywhere on a phone, laptop, or tablet
- With Energy History, just check your phone to see how much energy you used and why, or use Quick View on the display to reach Energy History, settings, or your schedule; the Nest Leaf appears when you choose a temperature that saves energy
- Smart thermostat with HVAC monitoring, which looks out for your heating and cooling systems; sends an alert if something doesn’t seem right, along with helpful reminders to make maintenance easier
Pros for the Nest Thermostat
This smart thermostat has many amazing features that make it the top product in its market.
You can set an auto-schedule, so you do not have to worry about programming it. It is so intuitive that it learns the temperature you want just by detecting patterns from the temperatures you have previously set. You can use the auto-schedule feature for when you are away from your Airbnb home, so you will not have to worry about manually changing it or relying on guests to do it either.
This smart thermostat can connect to wi-fi, which enables you to control it from your smartphone, tablet, or even a computer. This feature makes it super convenient for Airbnb hosts, as it is another way to control the thermostat without having to be physically present in the home.
It can connect to Amazon’s Alexa, so guests will not have to worry about touching the thermostat. They can simply ask Alexa to cool the room down or heat it up. In addition, the Nest Thermostat can pay attention to the weather to help you find the right temperature in every season.
It is also compatible with up to 95% of 24-Volt heating and cooling systems (which include electric, gas, forced air, heat pump, oil, hot water, radiant, solar, and geothermal.) You can be sure that it will easily integrate into your Airbnb home, no matter what heating and cooling system you may have.
The Nest Thermostat is eco-friendly. It helps cut down on the cost of electricity, and because it is so intuitive, it will tell you which temperatures are the eco-friendliest by displaying a leaf (called the Nest Leaf) on its screen when you are adjusting the temperature. This feature is great for anyone that wants to be eco-friendlier in their Airbnb home but might not know the way to get there.
There is a feature called the Home/Away Assist which helps cut back on electricity use by automatically turning the temperature down when there is no one in the home to avoid unnecessary usage. This is a great feature for Airbnb homes because it will help you as a host to minimize the cost of heating and cooling and avoids wasting energy by running when there is no one around.
The Nest Thermostat is the first thermostat to receive an EnergyStar. You can be assured that it will really help you become eco-friendly and save money.
It has a sleek design, which is great for any home. Since it is so small it can fit in any space without taking up a lot of wall room best used for TVs or decoration, and it will not look cluttered. It is available in brass, copper, white, and stainless steel, which makes it even easier to fit into your Airbnb home.
Check Out This Rental Recon Article: Airbnb Essentials: 75+ Items Every Host Should Have For Guests
Cons for the Nest Thermostat
Even though the technology on this thermostat is intuitive and high-tech, you will still need to give it about a week to fully program itself and settle in. Some users reported having to go back and forth with cooling and heating on the thermostat in the beginning since it did not yet get in-tune with their home. After a week, though, you should be able to start using it to its full potential.
Even though the installation is simple, some users reported difficulty in setting up the Nest Thermostat with their in-place HVAC systems. It is important that you have a c-wire available for the installation process, which some users reported not having known this prior to purchase. If you have any questions about installing the Nest Thermostat, consult an electrician.
Though the motion recognition feature can be useful in some cases, it seems to be a relatively unnecessary feature. The Nest Thermostat turns on when it detects something near, but most likely this is not a feature you will need for security purposes. Depending on where it is placed, it can be disruptive of a peaceful nights’ sleep.
Software updates can cause a disruption in the auto-programming feature and in the overall usage of the thermostat. Users reported that there were frequent software updates. It can be a daunting task to have to reset features after every new update.
The Nest thermostat is highly rated on Amazon. There are pages and pages of positive reviews. Many reviews point out that while this smart thermostat is at a higher price point, it is a worthwhile investment.
Users love that it is easy to install. One thing that may scare you away from upgrading devices in your Airbnb home to smart devices could be that they are difficult to understand and install. However, that is not the case with this product! It comes with thorough instructions and users said that there are many tutorials on YouTube that can help, should you need assistance.
Users love that the technology is up to date and very intuitive. There are many advanced features, and most of them can be enabled or used from your smartphone, via the Nest app. It has the capability to remind you to change your air filters and furnaces and has different modes for different occasions/times of the day (such as an “away” mode for when you are not home, to which you can opt-in or out of.) You can even pair it with Alexa for further enhancement.
Users love how much the Nest Thermostat lowered their energy and gas bills (this is dependent upon your electricity and gas service provider. Make sure you understand your heating and cooling system providers before installing. Since this device is so intuitive to temperature and because you can set custom modes like away mode, there are many opportunities to save energy.
Users also enjoy its sleek design, as compared to other thermostats. The advantage of having a smart thermostat is that the designs are often less bulky. That is certainly true of the Nest Thermostat by Google. It is only 3.4 inches tall, and not much wider. Users love that they can fit the Nest Thermostat into any room in their home. As an Airbnb Superhost, I can say that it fits well with any style and does not take away from the overall design of an Airbnb.
Let’s see how this smart thermostat measures up:
- Auto-scheduling that programs itself to learn your temperature preferences
- Able to connect to wi-fi and can be controlled with a smartphone, tablet, or computer which is a great feature for remote Airbnb hosts
- Intuitive technology makes it simple to be eco-friendly by letting you know what temperatures are eco-friendly
- Smart technology detects external weather
- Home/Away Assist can determine when you are away, which cuts down on electricity usage
- Helps reduce overall electricity usage in your Airbnb home
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa
- Makes a simple chore as an Airbnb host simple due to its smart and intuitive technology
- Helps guests feel comfortable and relaxed in your Airbnb home
- Helps you monitor guest check-in and check-out, which gives you peace of mind as a host
- Sleek design and color options make it easy to fit into any design style
- User-friendly installation makes it easy to integrate into and upgrade your Airbnb home
- Reduces electricity usage by using smart technology, which will help cut down on costs that can be used for other elements in your Airbnb home
The Nest Thermostat is the best smart thermostat you can have in your Airbnb. It is easy to use, has a nice design, and will reduce electricity bills. Installation is easy, and while the price point on this smart thermostat is on the high side (and certainly more than what you would pay for a regular thermostat) it is well worth the investment.
Check Out These Other Articles on Rental Recon:
- 3 Best Couch for a Vacation Rental or Airbnb (and Sofa) 
- Airbnb TV : What Makes For A Great Smart Television
- The Nest Thermostat Review for Your Airbnb:  Best Option for Hosts?
- The Ring Video Doorbell for Airbnb : Why Every Host Should Have One
- [The 7 Best Smart Locks for Airbnb Hosts] [2021 Review] (& Vacation Rentals)
- [The 5 BEST THERMOSTATS FOR AIRBNB][2021 Review]: Why Smarter Is Better
Why is having updated technology important as an Airbnb host?
Being an Airbnb Superhost is all about providing a comfortable, relaxing, and enjoyable experience for any guest that stays in your Airbnb. Updated technology is an important asset in creating that experience.
Guests do not want to fumble with devices during their stay. Smart Technology provides them with convenience and efficiency so that they can focus on relaxing. As an Airbnb super host, I have found that once I implemented updated technology into my Airbnb home, guests had a better experience.
If you want to know more about why smart thermostats are a great investment, check out my post on everything you need to know about smart thermostats for Airbnbs.
What if the Nest Thermostat is out of my budget? What other smart thermostats work in Airbnb homes?
The Nest Thermostat by Google comes at a higher price point, but I have found that it is well worth investing the money for it. However, if you feel that it is out of your budget, there are other smart thermostats that may work. Most of the competitors of the Nest Thermostat are compatible with wi-fi and smartphones, and can help cut back on electricity usage. However, I have found that the Nest Thermostat is the most intuitive, eco-friendly, and user-friendly smart thermostat on the market. Check out my list of smart thermostats to see what the best fit for you is.