I was a guest in a little Airbnb near Amsterdam. Arriving jetlagged and exhausted, and having hiked about the city before traveling to the Airbnb, I wearily climbed the narrow Holland stairs, showered, and slid between the luxurious European sheets. Oh, bliss!
Those sheets inspired me to create a similar experience for guests staying at our own rental.
So what are the 5 best Airbnb bed sheets for hosts?
- Threadmill Home Linen 500 Thread Count 100% Cotton Sheets
- Hotel Sheets Direct 100% Bamboo Bed Sheet Set – Soft as Silk
- Organic Cotton Sateen Sheets- GOTS Certified
- Sonoro Kate Bed Sheet Set Super Soft Microfiber 1800 Thread Count Luxury Egyptian Sheets
- European Made Pure Linen Sheets Set
We’ll go into more detail about each of our selections below. Please note that not every sheet listed is the right choice for your listing – take time to assess your guest’s needs before purchasing sheets.
Our Top Pick: Threadmill Home Linen 500 Thread Count Sheets
These 100% Cotton Sheets are what I use in my rentals. They have traditional 2-inch stripes with a sateen finish. At 500 thread count, they wear well and last a very long time.
- High quality
- Soft and comfortable
- Some noted not quite as soft as advertised
If I do need to match them, they are an industry standard and can be easily found and matched. I like the blue sheets but, with white sheets, you don’t need to worry about fading. These sheets can be too warm in southern climates.
Take a look at the Amazon reviews for the Threadmill sheets HERE.
Superhost Tip: I like to keep at least two sheet sets available for each bed so that the cleaner can quickly make the bed while the dirty sheets are being washed and dried. Then the laundered set is ready for the cleaner after the following guest.
Runner Up: Hotel Sheets Direct 100% Bamboo Bed Sheet Set – Soft as Silk
These 100% Bamboo Sheets are an excellent alternative to cotton sheets. These sheets are a 1,600 thread count and are made from rayon derived completely from bamboo – a renewable resource.
They’re also hypoallergenic making them a top choice for those with allergies. They also stay cool, which is needed if you have a foam mattress in your Airbnb.
Take a look at the Amazon reviews for the Hotel Sheets Direct HERE.
Best Luxury Option: Organic Cotton Sateen Sheets
Another great option is organic cotton sateen sheets. They are on the expensive side, but hosts could use this as an extra luxurious amenity that they offer in their Airbnb, and promoted in their listing. These sheets from Holy Lamb Organics offer GOTS Certified 100% organic cotton from India. They are lustrous on one side and slightly matte on the other. These are really durable and high quality sheets!
Check Out This Rental Recon Article: Airbnb Essentials: 75+ Items Every Host Should Have For Guests
Check Out Our Other Articles On Rentalrecon.com:
- Ultimate Utopia Bed Bug Encasement Review- How This Mattress Protector Stacks Up
- The Best Color Sheets for Your Airbnb - Why Color Matters
- The 5 BEST AIRBNB BED SHEETS [2021 Review]- Cotton, Microfiber, and More…
- The 3 Best Pillows for Airbnb [2021 Review]
- The 3 Best Mattresses for an Airbnb and Vacation Rental [2021 Review]
- The [5 BEST SHEETS for VACATION RENTALS] 2021 Review- Cotton, Microfiber, and More
Best Microfiber Option: Sonoro Kate Bed Sheet Set Super Soft Microfiber 1800 Thread Count Luxury Egyptian Sheets
These 1800 thread count microfiber sheets hit all the marks for Airbnb hosts. They are super-soft, high thread count, hypoallergenic, fade-resistant, stain-resistant, and wrinkle-resistant.
The sheets are cool to sleep on and don’t lose their softness after multiple washing/drying cycles. They fitted sheet is deep and will wrap around most mattresses without needing clips. The sheets are also delivered in high-end luxurious packaging. Some reviewers did say that the sheets were a little thinner than they expected. But these definitely make the list of best Airbnb bed sheets!
Check out our in-depth review of Sonoro Kate Sheets here…
Take a look at the Amazon reviews for the Sonoro Kate sheets HERE.
European Made Pure Linen Sheets Set
European Made Pure carries a reasonably priced linen sheet set. Linen is made from flax and has a rougher texture than cotton sheets, but many people absolutely love them.
These are organic and hypoallergenic. The weave is wider and therefore the sheets breathe more while still insulating the body.
They tend to wrinkle and should be washed several times before use. The more they’re washed, the softer they’ll feel.
Take a look at the Amazon reviews for the European Made Pure sheets HERE.
What Does Thread Count Mean for Airbnb Guests?
Thread count is important to Airbnb Guest, so much so that we advertise our sheets thread count on our description of our rental. We find that thread count is the ultimate way to ensure that our sheets are the highest quality. Here are a few facts about thread count:
- Thread count is the number of threads interwoven in a square inch. Schweitzer Linen has a guide that explains that a higher thread count usually results in a softer and heavier sheet.
- It’s generally a good idea to buy sheets that are over 200 thread count, but the quality of the thread matters as well as the thread count. Make sure you feel the sheet before you buy it.
- Larger thread counts are achieved by twisting two threads together. Sometimes this is called a two-ply thread count. Often this is done to give the sheets a dense, satiny feel. Twisting good quality thread also helps the sheet hold up to wear and tear better as the thread fibers are better protected.
- Cheaper sheets with a low thread count are more likely to pill in the dryer. Pilled sheets are an announcement to your guest that you don’t know how to purchase good sheets or you don’t care enough about their comfort to do so.
- Sheets with a low thread count quickly become threadbare and require more repair. I’ve learned over time that poor quality sheets tend to rip or tear at the seams.
- Mentioning the high thread count of your sheets in your listing can also encourage tentative or first-time visitors to view your rental as a comfortable place to stay.
How Do You Wash and Maintain Airbnb Sheets?
This question depends quite a bit on the type of fabric used. I’ll be answering it based on your average cotton sheet. Dyes and other factors may affect the wash-ability of your sheets so please use the manufacturer’s directions if they conflict with mine. Below are general instructions:
- Most sheets should be washed in hot water and dried on low heat.
- You can extend the life of your sheets if you line dry them. If you have room and it doesn’t block your rental’s view, dry sheets on a clothesline. I find that the wind often shakes out the wrinkles.
- Use a mild, scent-free detergent to protect your guests with allergies. There is nothing worse than expecting a good night’s sleep and waking up itchy or with a rash. Learn from my experience…the bedding I thought was beautifully scented sent one guest packing!
- Learn how to treat stains. Airbnb stains on sheets can be difficult to manage. I use this handy stain removal chart published by Martha Stewart. Guests sometimes bring things into bed that you wish they wouldn’t, such as food, drinks, and dogs! Be prepared to deal with messes.
- Make sure you have a minimum of two sheet sets per bed. This ensures you can switch out sheets if they’re damaged or dirty and helps in quickly changing your guest beds between guests without waiting for the laundry to finish.
- Organize your linen closet or storage space. I like to fold all my sheets and pillowcases around each other like a taco and place them in the bottom drawer of the dresser in the rental, but other people prefer a linen closet or to even hang sheet sets on wide hangers in the closet to keep them crease-free. Whatever you do, keep your sheets neat, clean, and out of the way.
How Do You Choose the Best Sheet Style for an Airbnb Rental?
Décor can be very important for your Airbnb rental. Some Airbnb’s that I’ve personally stayed in had themes or were designed around the activities offered in the community. Depending on the purpose of your Airbnb, your sheet choice may add to your décor or seem out of step with the rest of the rental. Here are a few questions that may help you determine the style of sheet or material it should be made out of:
- Is your Airbnb in a city or country setting? Country roads are muddy and dirt can be tracked in and end up on your sheets. You’ll want to avoid silk or satin sheets as they can snag and take special care. Linen sheets are the most durable and would stand up to damage from sand or dirt. If your rental is in the city, consider a high luxury sheet in modern colors and prints. Geometric patterns create interest and can accent a midcentury décor.
- Do you rent to guests in town for sporting events? See if you can find sheets with the local team’s logo printed on it. This could be a fun touch for a die-hard fan.
- Do you have a special feature on your property that you’d like to reflect? If you’re renting a room in a Victorian house surrounded by flower beds, floral sheets with lace-edged pillowcases would be an excellent choice or you could choose sheets with embroidered edges.
- Are you near a body of water? A nautical themed room could be easily achieved by using solid red, white and blue sheets on all the beds or choosing navy striped sheets.
- Whatever your décor is, try to accentuate it with your sheet selection. If you’re unsure, you think your décor may change, or you just want a clean and elegant look – you can always choose hotel-style white sheets.
Keep in mind that whatever you choose, be sure the sheets are of the best quality that you can afford. Just like my experience in the Netherlands, those sheets will be part of your guest’s memories of your Airbnb and may impact their reviews. Clean, crisp, luxurious sheets can make a normal bed feel like a spa-like vacation to your guests. The more tired they are on arrival, the more they’ll appreciate the attention you give their sleeping arrangements.
How Do I Repair Airbnb Sheets?
Bottom line…. Don’t. Just go buy a new set of sheets. It’s not worth your time and effort. Guests should have sheets that look brand new without stains, tears, rips, loose threads, etc. Especially when they are paying top dollar to stay at your Airbnb.
Have a couple back-up sets of sheets in case you need a quick turn around between guests.
How Do I Keep the Airbnb Sheets From Slipping Off the Corners of a Deep Mattress?
Use mattress clips to keep your sheets in place. These come in handy on your own sheets, as well.
Please share this article on Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, or Facebook!